Forbidden Fruit/Playing With
Basic Trope: Something is desirable, but not allowed
- Played Straight: Bob is in love with Alice, but because Alice is a Miko with Virgin Power, he can't have sex with her, or else she won't be able to call on her god and save the world.
- Exaggerated: Bob isn't allowed to even *think* about Alice or he'll cause her to lose her Virgin Power even without technically losing her virginity. And of course, he sees Alice all the time, including while she's bathing.
- Justified: Alice is serving under a god whose tenets include Sex Is Evil, and Bob must respect that or else everything is ruined.
- Inverted: Bob is not only allowed, but encouraged to have sex with Alice before she summons her god.
- Averted: Bob knows that when Alice tells him that something bad happens when she loses her virginity, that she's not kidding. So he doesn't do anything.
- Subverted: Alice can have a relationship with Bob, and even sex with him.
- Double subverted: After the MacGuffin is found and the god is summoned. Until then, Alice must remain a Celibate Hero.
- Deconstructed: Bob is tempted (and maybe even so is Alice), not only because of their feelings for one another, but also because of that part of human nature that says, "How bad could it be? What's the worst that can happen? Why is this even forbidden in the first place?"
- Reconstructed: Alice and Bob resist the temptation, and the plot points are resolved. Their relationship is stronger and the sex is better when they eventually have it because it's not something they'll be taking for granted.
- Alice becomes frail and feeble as soon as a man so much as touches her.
- Alice uses this trope to get Bob to do whatever she wants.
- Zig Zagged:
- Some of this particular god's Mikos are allowed to have sex, others are not.
- Alternatively. Bob knows some things are forbidden and aren't fooling around...but some things he just wants mroe because they're taboo.
- "Alice, you must remain a virgin through all your ordeals."
- "How come every time something becomes taboo, we all suddenly want it?"
- Averted: Alice is not forbidden from having sexual contact before summoning her god.
- Enforced: "We need something to spice up the plotline a little..."
- Invoked: Alice agrees to be a Miko, which includes the caveat that she's not to have any sexual contact as long as she is.
- Defied: Alice and Bob know they aren't supposed to have sex, but their urges are too strong, and they do it. (This may or may not result in catastrophe.)
- Conversed: Oh great. Here we go again. The moment something is set off limits, of course everyone and their mothers will want it.
- Played For Laughs: The forbidden thing in question is not some girl's virginity but... Bob's roommate's last can of beer.
- Played For Drama: Erm... just about every single example.
Back to Forbidden Fruit