Forum:Policy on fake works?
Tvtropes has a lot of these. I've never really understood the appeal. I know we don't want to become delete-happy like tvtropes, but maybe we can move them into a special namespace or something?
- I was going to say, "I don't really understand the appeal either," but then I remembered that I'm responsible for this page. And uh, this.
I don't like to make up arbitrary policies, so lets look at the few we have. The closest applicable policy here is unpublished works go in the User namespace. Which sort of brings us to a question -- is this "unpublished"? In some sense, metafiction can be a form of fiction, and it's published on TVT. The thing that just bugs me is, well, it's just 10 pages of in-jokes strung together by blue links. Does anyone think the recap subpage counts as a story (i.e. a work)? It's not a really a cut-and-dried case here.
Peversely, I want to suggest that we cut the page, and then recreate it as a page that covers the tropes used in TVT The Webcomic on TVT. (Sdrawkcab Name, Trope Overdosed...)Vorticity (talk) 08:56, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Hmm, yeah, I guess this inevitably comes down to "what is art?". Your idea might be a solution. Topazan (talk) 11:36, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- I favor Vorticity's solution on this topic myself. We have cut TVT pages that we can't repurpose for use on ATT in any form or would not apply here in any circumstance, but if it can be saved in a form that useful, we can go with that if possible. GethN7 (talk) 13:13, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- How about if we cut the "metafiction" pages and make one trope page covering all tvtropes "metafiction"? Topazan (talk) 14:42, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- That seems a little extreme IMO. Besides, if it's a work, self contained in it's own right, then it most likely deserves a page and subpages of it's own. For stuff that has a shared canon/directly references other works/share continuity, that would make sense. GethN7 (talk) 14:51, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Yeah, that sounds more like an index to me. Er, category. Vorticity (talk) 21:53, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Well, Vorticity made the argument that tvtropes the webcomic counts as a story because of the recap page, but what about a page like Inspector Spacetime, where the recap is just a list of episode titles? In a lot of these, there's really not a lot of "continuity" to speak of. Topazan (talk) 16:14, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- No matter what we decide, we'll probably need a list of all these pages. I'll start. Topazan (talk) 16:24, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- Avatar and The Airbending Fellowship of Vampire Slayers
- Daring Do
- Inspector Spacetime
- Isn't this a Show Within a Show, like Gekiganger 3? If so, shouldn't it actually be covered with In-Universe examples? -- ∇×V
- My Little Rainbow Princess Pretty Moon Shortcake
- The Punishers Song of Evangelion and I Must Scream
- TV Tropes the Webcomic
- I'm afraid I've taken unilateral action on TV Tropes the Webcomic while cleaning up TVT-specific pages linked off of Just for Fun; it's all gone now. I won't do anything to the other works listed here, though, until some kind of consensus is reached. -- Looney Toons (talk) 20:23, 20 February 2014 (UTC)