Garfield (Comic Strip)/Radar
- As a joke, Jim Davis once submitted a strip where Garfield gets high on catnip and wakes up in Atlantic City with a Barbie doll. And his editor accepted it.
- "What do you think of when you think of sand, Garfield?...On second thought, scratch that question."
- The phone rings, and Garfield answers it. It's Liz. Garfield turns the receiver toward Odie, who loudly pants into it. Garfield then hangs up and walks away, saying, "The shot will be worth it just to see him try and explain that."
- Jon getting shot down over the phone:
"You'll meet me when WHAT freezes over!?"
- The time Jon made a sandwich out of his penis.
- That's not really an accurate description. But how on God's green earth do you get so confused that you wear your sandwich and put your swim trunks in the picnic basket?!
- In this strip, Jon attempts to invite Liz to a party he's having. Since this is roughly 20 years before they started dating, she naturally shoots him down with a comment that prompts the response "Do you mean that literally or figuratively?"
Garfield: Literally has my vote.
- Garfield throwing a snowball at Jon: "Oops, a little low..."
- Who can forget the time Jon got flipped off by someone off panel?. Odie's face is priceless there.
- The Babes and Bullets special had Garfield fantasizing about being Film Noir Private Detective Sam Spayed. Most of it is spent flirting with very human women, and the ending involves a moment heavily implying he... drinks milk with one of them. Actual milk is present, of course, but Garfield's reaction to the invitation is pure Parental Bonus at work.
- Or Garfield's response to a reprimand (Garfield is off panel for the whole strip):
Jon: Garfield! get your paw out of the cookie jar!
- "Just don't flush the toilet"
- Odie can't decide which Christmas tree he likes...
- "It's hard to be friends with someone who's seen you naked."
- At one point in Garfield Gets Real, Garfield and Odie hide behind a poster of themselves with a black-and-white comic as the background. The comic is a grayscale version of this edited strip. Most of the time, it's too blurry to read the text, but when Garfield and Odie react to Hale and Hardy's introduction, the text that isn't blocked is fully visible. That's right, they canonized Jon dropping the F-bomb. (The movie is unrated, but it's still pretty shocking that they let that slip by.)
- "Wanna pet my parrot?" (said to a woman). Even Jim Davis pointed out in a compilation how risqué that one is.
- And then there was a strip in which Garfield got a lot of amusement out of scratching Odie's rear, because that made Odie become so excited that he jumped up and down. Garfield just kept scratching until poor Odie was in a frenzy. A few readers have noted that the gag looks suspiciously like a metaphor for something else....
- The absolute WORST question to ask...
- This strip implies Toilet Humor is going on.
- This strip implies that the seagulls are biting something other than the hotdogs.
- There's this one right here.
- "My litter box is about to be declared a hazardous waste dump."
- This combines the Radar with a Punny Name.
- "I just learned three new words."
- "Your lips said 'no' but your eyes said 'yes'."
- "Doug, a pig just bit me." "A pig? Where did he bite you, Earl?" "Right in the mudhole, Doug."
- "Ellen, it's been a long time since I've had a date..." "..and I'm about as desperate as a monkey in a banana famine."
- "Excuse me, sire, whilst your loyal wretch ralphs on the royal rug."
- Garfield somehow got away with saying "Sex" in an early strip.
- Perhaps one of the biggest examples.
- Close enough, indeed.
- Look at this strip and say there's no parallel to cheating...
- You HAD to ask, didn't you, Jon?
- I wonder just how Jon knows what goes on at barn dances...
- "That's not what spoons are for, Ellen."
- "You guys will sniff pretty much anything, won't you?"
- Never ask about the little black dress.
- "Shake it, Annette."
- Here is proof that Garfield and Odie are voyeurs.
- Just look at the second-to-last panel.
- Garfield's got the right idea.
- "I don't even want to know where THIS goes..."
- "There was something in the water."
- "Ed's Dong Repair."