Ghost in the Shell (manga)/Fanfic Recs
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Ghost in the Shell fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress: Fan Fic Recommendations is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropiate category, and to format it according to the template.
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Latw PIAT
- Synopsis: Either an After Action Report or a very detailed plan for a role-play session, this is a story written almost like a standard Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" season, but focuses mainly on a small group of OCs who occationally but into Section 9. The lack of descriptions and intrapersonal interaction leaves a lot to wish for, but the plot carries most of it.
- Comments: I've read the occational GitS fanfic, and writing GitS fanfic is hard. Writing Original Flavour GitS fanfic is even harder. Writing season-long, Original Flavour GitS fanfic is ztyping impossible. Doing so without really trying... This fic really captures the universe and Xanatos-nature of the show itself, and its plot moves at the same pace as the SAC seasons, so it's a joy to read.
Far Behind by AJ.
- Recommended by da fox22
- Synopsis: If he's going to be nothing more than the means to an end, he might as well be an active participant. Batoufic.
- Comments: Taking place after the first season, but before/during the second (the timeline is kind of vague), this fic focuses on Batou as he deals with a spy... as well as the 'relationship' he and the Major shared. Nicely written.
- Sneebs: The sparse prose and neat narrative make this story work so well. What is not said really hits home on batou's isolation and makes for an interesting noir-esque read.
Only Natural by Vaeru.
- Recommended by eagle108
- Synopsis: Togusa, meet the Tachikomas. Tachikomas, meet Togusa
- Comments: Occurs before the first season and Vaeru nails down every single character in this piece perfectly. Togusa gets introduced to the Tachikomas by Batou, which leads to one of the excitable tanks finding out the hard way (irony there) that Togusa isn't cybernized like Batou or Motoko is (Ishikawa and Saito doesn't count by the tanks' logic, as the former rarely heads into actual combat and the latter's a sniper). Which then has the Tachikomas deciding to do their best to protect the rookie in the most heartwarming way.
- Recommended by Wild Goose
- Synopsis: "For God knows that when you eat of the fruit, your eyes shall be opened, and you shall be as a God yourself..."
- Comments: Original take on the Major's Shrouded in Myth backstory. Well worth the read.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.