Honor Before Reason/Playing With
Basic Trope: A character does incredibly unwise things and plays it off by stating that they're adhering to a code of honor.
- Straight: Alice has the chance to ambush and kill Emperor Evulz for good, but decides against it because she finds sneak attacks dishonorable.
- Exaggerated: Alice has a ridiculously specific code of honor, to the point where she's almost ineffective as a hero.
- Justified: Alice doesn't like being dishonorable - she'd rather get killed.
- Alice considers Honor as rational a goal as anything else. To her honor is reason.
- Inverted: Alice is a Combat Pragmatist, willing to fight as dirty as possible to win.
- Alice knows that the honorable thing is not always the smart thing, and acts in a way consistent with that
- Subverted: Alice weighs the loss of honor from ambushing the Emperor versus the loss of life that Evulz has caused, and decides to ambush him.
- Double Subverted: However, she gives up on the plan halfway through because it just feels wrong.
- Parodied: Alice refuses to use American Customary Measurements, even when it would make her more easily understood, because she knows metric is simply better.
- Deconstructed: Emperor Evulz repeatedly invokes Alice's code of honor, to the point where she's not able to fight back and he successfully kills her.
- Reconstructed: Alice's code of honor is the source of her power.
- Zig Zagged: Alice tries her best to adhere to a code of honor, but it's a semi-flexible one.
- Averted: Alice has no stated code of honor.
- Enforced: "Emperor Evulz is popular, so we can't just have him be losing all the time! Wait, I've got it..."
- Lampshaded: "I'm not going to attack an enemy from behind. I just won't! It's not fair!"
- Invoked: Alice's predecessor was a Blood Knight of the highest caliber. To avoid being like him, she decides to create a code of honor.
- Defied: "I know it's dishonorable to sneak up on him and kill him. But I don't care. This is for the good of the world."
- Discussed: "Emperor Evulz! Turn around, I want you to see this one coming!"
"Alice had a clear shot at the Emperor, just one pull of the trigger and they'd be scraping his brains off the carpet, but she wouldn't shoot him."
Back to Honor Before Reason.