Live and Let Die (novel)
The second James Bond novel by Ian Fleming, released in 1954.
After being on a leave due to the events in Casino Royale, Bond is given a mission in states. The case is about sudden eruption of smuggled gold coins, that are linked to Harlem crimelord Mr. Big.
- An Arm and a Leg: Felix Leiter literally loses his arm and a leg when he is lowered to a Shark Pool.
- Dirty Communists: SMERSH is at it again, this time through Mr. Big's criminal activities.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Sharks are present, but Bond is more worried about Barracudas when he swims to Mr. Big's island.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: An octopus grabs Bond's legs, forcing him to take action agains it. This in turn reveals his location to Mr. Big's men and he's caught shortly after.
- Exploding Fishtanks: The result of the firefight between Bond and Robber.
- Fingore: Mr. Big orders Tee-Hee to break one of Bond's fingers.
- Funetik Aksent: How some black people talk in Harlem.
- Hazardous Water: To ensure his island's privacy, Mr. Big has his men dumping offal into the surrounding waters, putting all the sharks and barracudas in the area into a feeding frenzy.
- Literal Ass-Kicking: When Bond frees himself from Tee-Hee's grip, he bashes his head with his empty pistol, hits him in the groin and gives boot to his behind, sending him down a staircase to his death
- Living Lie Detector: Mr. Big uses Solitaire like this, and apparently she really can detect lies. She believes it's due to her Psychic Powers, but we never learn whether she's right or not.
- Manly Tears: When Mr. Big is defeated, Bond, shaken by the whole ordeal, sheds tears.
- Pirate Booty: Sir Henry Morgan's treasure, that Mr. Big is smuggling to the states.
- Scooby-Doo Hoax: Mr. Big's operations are dosed with a bit of Hollywood Voodoo and to he encourage rumours that he is really a zombie or even Baron Samedi himself.
- Spiteful Spit: After one of Harlem's inhabitants sees Bond and Felix strolling by, he spits.
- A Taste of the Lash: When Solitaire is "reading" Bond, Mr. Big lashes her to remind who is in charge.
- Title Drop: While discussing the operation, Felix notes that they have a convention which goes "live and let live". Bond then answers that his is "live and let die".