- Complete Monster: Zillah.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Steve smashing Zillah in the face with a baseball bat.
- Non Sequitur Scene: The rather squick inducing memory Jessy's father had of a time when he had sex with her when she was 13. Please note, he is a minor charachter, one whose presence is pretty insignificant, making the moment even less plot relevant. Also, Nothing hitchhikes with an albino Fundamentalist who makes him perform oral sex on him, a part that seemed just thrown in to make Nothing's life seem even more pathetic.
- Idiot Plot: An Emo Kid who grew up with a fairly nice family, decides his life sucks and runs away to meet a group of people who don't even know he exists, gets picked up by a trio of vampires, one who happens to be his father, and to impress them kills his best friend. That is just the icing on the idiot cake if you think about it hard enough.
- Gary Stu: Ghost has no discernable flaws (other than the fact that he let his best friend/crush get away with rape, but no one in universe is bothered by that), is described as being very pretty with white blond hair, transluscent skin and big blue eyes (like a... ghost) is sweet and kind to everyone and even has Psychic Powers whene it seems that no other character in the book, not even the vampires have them.
- Moral Event Horizon: Fairly early in the novel Nothing murders his "best friend" by chewing off his genitals. Neither he nor anyone else seems bothered by this at all.
- Older Than They Think: a lot of elements of this novel — sexy vampires, goths, New Orleans, and Ho Yay — have been so done to death that Lost Souls may looked cliched. When it was published in 1992, those tropes were fresher than they are now.
Sounds like Interview with the Vampire.