Michael Sinterniklaas started in ADR as a director/voice actor for 4Kids, but actually, he's one of the more talented ones they had, simply because he manages to land some really good roles elsewhere, including both Nnoitra Jiruga and Luppi from Bleach, and some occasional roles for FUNimation. Western cartoon fans know him best as the voice of Dean Venture of The Venture Bros He's got a decent range which allows him to play anything from a teenage boy to a Pokémon. He's not as popular as, say, Dan Green, but then again, it's kinda hard to top that voice. Michael seems to attract a lot of crazy fan girls at conventions and other public events.
Besides voice acting he also founded the recording studio NYAV Post, which bases its model on bi-coastal collaboration- shows he directs tend to feature actors from both sides of the States. Dubs for Media Blasters anime series and some Western Animation like The Venture Bros are recorded there, for which he is often the voice director. Kappa Mikey was also recorded there, as well as basically any other of Animation Collective's shows, considering they're just several blocks from each other. He is one of the few voice actors who is quite well-known of a lot of cross region work with a total of three major voice acting locations (the said founded NYAV Post in New York City, FUNimation in Dallas, Texas, and many Los Angeles based licensors like Bandai and VIZ Media and studios like Bang Zoom). The only thing missing in the list is Seraphim Digital Studios (Houston, Texas) and The Ocean Group (Vancouver, Canada), but it wouldn't be a surprise when his name starts popping up there.
Notable roles by Michael Sinterniklaas:
- Guy Shishioh in short-lived GaoGaiGar dub
- Mikey Simon in Kappa Mikey
- Nnoitra Jiruga, Menis, and Luppi in Bleach
- Leonardo in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003)
- Trey in Shaman King
- Xellos in Slayers Revolution
- Dean Venture in The Venture Bros.
- Mr. 9 in 4Kids' One Piece dub
- Mackie Stingray in Bubblegum Crisis
- Osugi in Eden of the East
- Jared and Jesse, and Ronald Multon in Speed Racer: The Next Generation
- Jei in Burst Angel
- Izasa in episode 26 of Mushishi
- Jan Suk in Monster
- Dodge in D.Gray-man
- Leo in Fullmetal Alchemist
- Weenus and Megawatt in Robotomy
- Ataru Moroboshi in the one episode of Urusei Yatsura that was dubbed (not the movies)
- Orphan's final form in Final Fantasy XIII
- Sarutobi Sasuke in Sengoku Basara
- Kenji Koiso in Summer Wars
- Sora in Naruto Shippuden
- Takeru in Freedom Project
- Netherlands in Axis Powers Hetalia
- Pink Panther in The Pink Panther: Passport to Peril
- Moritaka Mashiro in Bakuman｡
- Ivan Karelin/Origami Cyclone in Tiger and Bunny
Tropes associated with Michael Sinterniklaas:
- The Other Darrin: If a cast member drops out right before recording a show Sinterniklaas directs, and the character is male, 99% of the time he'll fill in for him.
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: Less so than others, but in all his projects he plays either the straight young, male hero, a charismatic antagonist, or an Adorkable wimp. His roles are usually on either end of an unrequited crush. And usually the object of said relationship will always be voiced by Stephanie Sheh, who will also be producing alongside him.
- Playing Against Type: Nnoitra. So much.
- Relationship Voice Actor: Has worked extensively with LA-based Stephanie Sheh for over a decade, who also produces, directs, and acts. This widening of associated studios he works for only grew this collaboration. They had characters appear in scenes together in Eden of the East, Bleach, Monster, Sengoku Basara, Bakuman｡ and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.