She often goes by Lucoa and is one of Tohru's closest friends.
- Eyes Always Shut: Most of her on-screen appearances show her with her eyes closed, save for the few scenes where she does open them.
- Face Framed in Shadow: As a bit of Genius Bonus on the creator's part, Lucoa's dragon form (as well as Fafnir's) is seen in the opening credits very briefly, but is completely shrouded in silhouette. This is because her dragon form wasn't designed when the first season aired, until a late Season 2 episode when we finally Lucoa in all her dragon form glory.
- Gainaxing: Played For Laughs in the anime, where her breasts jiggling creates a "boing" song.
- Mismatched Eyes: Her left eye is black on the outside and yellow on the inside, with a green, slit pupil. Her right eye is green on the outside with designs and black on the inside with a yellow, slit pupil.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lucoa is fanservice incarnated. Every time she's in frame, her impressive bust is given plenty of attention and she's in some kind of revealing outfit 90% of the time.
- Stripperiffic: Her bathing suits in Episode 7 leave so little to the imagination that she had to be dragged away by an authority figure twice for being severely underdressed.
- Who Wears Short Shorts: In her debut she was wearing these.
- You Didn't See That: After the dragons destroy the park in an explosive dodgeball match, Lucoa offers to clean the area up (similar to how Tohru first cleaned Kobayashi's apartment), but also erase the memories of any bystanders who witnessed the spectacle.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Usually she wears rank B.
Voiced by: Yuki Kuwahara (JP) and Sarah Weidenheft (EN)
The title character and protagonist, a dragon that decided to become a maid for a Japanese woman that lives in the 2010s.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Confesses in Episode 8 that this is all she wants from Kobayashi to show affection, which Kobayashi obliges to.
- Art Shift: The opening sequences of the Mini Dragon shorts feature Tohru in full-blown 3D.
- Attention Whore: Can come across as quite needy at times, especially when other dragons are getting Kobayashi's attention, wanting similar praise from her.
- Auto Cannibalism: She can lop off her own tail and eat it if necessary (only happens once in the anime). Thankfully, she can grow it right back.
- Berserk Button: Being a Chaos dragon, Tohru naturally hates the divine on sheer principle, so don't speak of God in a favourable light in front of her.
- Gets extremely pissed when other dragons start getting affectionate with Kobayashi.
- Also, don't even THINK about harming Kobayashi in any way unless you want to be tortured mercilessly within an inch of your life! Trust us!
- Buxom Is Better: Her boobs are quite sizeable, making the completely flat Kobayashi jealous. Tohru claims to be a D-cup, but that's for dragon standards. In human sizes, she's even bigger. In spite of this, she actually has the smallest bust of all the female dragons (barring Kanna), especially after Ilulu is introduced.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: She admits to being smitten with Kobayashi and doesn't take kindly to other girls getting compliments and praise. Kobayashi even lampshades this aspect of her character by saying that jealousy is not a look that Tohru wears well.
- Cool Big Sis: She is this to Kanna, with whom she is acquainted before coming to our world.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: In the first episode of the anime, she blasts away the looming clouds with beams of light, which ends up alerted Kanna to her presence.
I know that magic. I know it well.
- Cute Little Fangs: Comes with being a shapeshifting dragon, and she's utterly adorable to boot.
- Elemental Eye Colours: A fire breathing dragon whose eyes are red with gold highlights in her human form. Gives "Fire in her Eyes" a whole new meaning...
- Fantastic Racism: Despite loving Kobayashi and not being particularly harsh towards another humans, she has practically a verbal tic on her tongue making her call them "pathetic" and "weak".
- Fish Out of Water: She isn't completely ignorant of human habits since humans exist on her world, but she never tried to actually live with them until she met Kobayashi, and that creates a lot of problems.
- Genki Girl: She is very excitable and energetic.
- Jiggle Physics: It's the first thing we're treated to when Tohru first transforms into her human form in Episode 1.
- Hellish Pupils: They're red, indicating her status as a chaos dragon.
- Invisibility: Thanks to her power she calls "Perception Block", which makes her invisible to everyone around her. She can use it on others as well.
- Lecherous Licking: To Kobayashi's disgust, Tohru will either lick or inhale the scent of the former's laundry.
- Meido: Well, for someone who looks like the image above, what else can we say?
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Symbolising her alliance with the Chaos Faction. She can be lovely and endearing on a good day, but she still isn't someone you'd want to get on the bad side of.
- Squee: Upon seeing an album containing photos of Kobayashi as a child.
- Super Speed: Can both fly and run at incredible speeds.
- Super Strength: Retains her physical strength as dragon in human form, resulting in incredible devastation to her targets.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tohru is the Girly Girl while Kobayashi is the Tomboy of the pair.
- Vocal Dissonance: She still speaks with the voice of a young woman even in her dragon form. A slight distortion effect is applied in this form to signify that is speaking telepathically.
- Wingding Eyes: Gets spiralled eyes in the first episode when she can't keep up with Kobayashi and Takiya's conversation.
Voiced by: Mutsumi Tamura (JP) and Leah Clark (EN)
The other title character. A common Japanese woman, she meets Tohru while drunk and says she can live at her house. Despite not remembering well what she did, she lets Tohru stay, feeling guilty knowing that the female dragon has nowhere to go.
- A-Cup Angst: She often feels envy of Tohru's breasts. Later feels this way towards Lucoa, Elma, and Ilulu.
- She gets mildly annoyed by Tohru pointing out how tight her outfits are when she wears Kobayashi's maid outfit and her yukata.
- Blank White Eyes: Happens very often thanks in part to Tohru's antics.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Gets quickly drunk and soon is doing things she usually don't would do in her normal state...like stripping Tohru down to her panties.
- Colour Failure: Happens in the first episode of the anime when Tohru first shows up outside her apartment in her dragon form. Happens again in Episode 3 when she first meets Fafnir in his dragon (which is rather frightening).
- Fiery Redhead: Averted when she's sober, but she becomes really unhinged when she's drunk.
- Ink Suit Actor: Her Japanese voice actress, Mutsumi Tamura, bears such an uncanny resemblance to Kobayashi (right down to her proportions) that when she's in costume, she can very easily pass as a live action version of the character.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: She has a rather androgynous appearance to the point where she is mistaken for a dude on more than one occasion. Her wardrobe mostly containing men's clothing reinforces this trope since she states herself that she doesn't look right in women's clothing.
- Mama Bear: Acts this way towards Kanna, acting as her adoptive parent/guardian.
- "No. Just... No" Reaction: This is pretty much her reaction every time Tohru suggests something outlandish, most notably her attempts to serve her some of her tail meat.
- No Name Given: Across 2 seasons of the anime, she always goes by Kobayashi. Her given name is never mentioned nor even hinted at.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Her irises are far smaller than every other character in the series as opposed to the traditionally large, brightly coloured eyes that anime girls tend to have. Tohru describes them as "Dead Fish Eyes".
- The Scapegoat: Her complete jerk-of-a-boss always foists his work onto her, mainly because of his own misogynistic views on women in the workplace and because he's too lazy to do it himself.
- Back to Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid