Moment of Awesome (Sugar Wiki)/Comic Books
Paco: I'm Paco. And I am going to hit you with this stick until you get the #&%$ off my planet.
—Blue Beetle #25
Rorschach: No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.
—Rorschach of Watchmen
There are certain things you might see when reading a comic book that'll make you say, "Oh, s&%#! Did he just do that?"
Don't forget to use the spoiler tag where appropriate. You don't want to give too much away, now. Some of us haven't read them yet.
NO MORE EXAMPLES HERE, PLEASE - instead, create the work's "Awesome" subpage directly and cut out the middleman. If the work doesn't have a page to put an "Awesome" subpage under, create that as well, please. (If it's awesome, it deserves a page here.) Don't forget to add "Category:Awesome (comic book)" to the new subpage!
Works with "Awesome" subpages
Works needing work pages and "Awesome" subpages
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight gets a few. At the end of the "Wolves at the Gate" story arc, Dracula is working with Buffy against vampires that have stolen his special powers (turning into wolves, mist and so forth). Just when all seems lost Dracula shows Willow how to negate all the vampire's special powers, including his own. When the head of the vampire gang calls Dracula a "old man", Dracula respones by chopping his hands off, and gives this speech: "Did you forget who I used to be? I've killed more men than God's plagues combined. And that was before I started eating people for fun. The fields of Europe used to stream with the blood of my enemies. Trust me... the vampire's the least of your concerns. It's the old man you need to worry about.". But hey, pretty much everything Dracula says or does in "Wolves At The Gate" is a CMOA or Crowning Moment of Funny.
- In the same arc, Dawn fighting a giant robot version of herself (with a tail!) while Andrew gives her support- and mecha destroying tips.
- A somewhat unusual but still awesome scene from the French comic Le dernier Chant des Malaterre comes when the (extremely cowardly and generally dislikeable) squire of one of the main characters tries to escape but loses control of his horse and heads back towards the place where his master is to be burnt at the stake. His last thoughts/words are basically "Fuck this." followed by "I'M COMING MY LORD!" It doesn't end well but damn, it's kind of awesome.
- In the Firefly comic Better Days, Shepherd Book gets his very own moment of awesome when he beheads a killer death robot with a sword he pulls from nowhere. In his own words, "There's no hell for these things."
- Loaded Bible: set in a post-apocalyptic future, Jesus Christ returns to earth to kill vampires. During one fight, he spits in a vampire's face, and its head explodes.
- Shaolin Cowboy literally consists entirely of these. The best ones are the main character turning just enough to reveal that the panel-wide pole he's carrying has chainsaws at both ends, which he then uses to cut a shark in half down the middle as he leaps out at him; the same character taking out a seemingly endless army in its entirety by punching a crab...one time; and Geof Darrow's Crowning Moment of Awesome, the epically massive World Turtle that has to be the single most detailed two-page spread in comics history.