Napoleon Dynamite (animation)
The Animated Adaptation of the 2004 movie Napoleon Dynamite. Announced in 2010 and premiered on FOX in January 15, 2012. The series continues where the film left off, showing the misadventures of Napoleon Dynamite and his oddball family in their sleepy Idaho town.
As this is an animated version, there's a lot more room for exaggeration on the jokes though the show still seeks to retain the charm of the movie. Most of the cast (Don is voiced by Jared Hess) returned to reprise their roles from the film.
Sadly canceled after one season due to low ratings. Amusingly only getting six episodes made, the same amount as fellow movie turned animated series, Clerks. Though at the least all of its episodes have aired on its network.
- Adult Child: Kip believes Goof Nutz Pizza is an appropriate place for a date.
- Animated Adaptation
- Broken Pedestal: In one episode, Napoleon cares for some ligers (pretty much his favorite animal) at a farm. However, he gets disappointed by them because they lacked magical powers. It does get rebuilt near the end, though, when the liger cub he cared for really did have powers.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: A prominent source of the humor is lampshading everything possible.
- Brutal Honesty: Napoleon and Pedro often.
- Chased by Angry Natives: The end of the first episode when Kip and Napoleon's fight descends into a slap fight.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Rex is turning into one of these.
- Kangaroos Represent Australia: The Goof Nutz Pizza band has one and she is voiced by Tara Strong (which made matters even better).
- Fetish Fuel Station Attendant: Candy
- Friendly Tickle Torture: Happens twice in the episode FFA.
- Funny Animal: The Goof Nutz Pizza band has these.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: The main cast of the original movie return.
- Ink Suit Actor
- Mythology Gag: In "Pedro vs. Deb" Napoleon tries to dance his way into the crowd's hearts just like in the movie, except this time it doesn't work.
Pedro: Frankly, I'm surprised it worked the first time.
- Only Sane Man: Pedro, and occasionally Napoleon.
- The Rival: Kip Dynamite
- Sailor Fuku: Japanese exchange student Tokiko is wearing one in the second episode.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: In "Pedro vs. Deb" after Napoleon catches Deb using a "free girl clothes" trap and she finds herself tied next to Pedro for an intervention:
Deb: I can't believe you trapped us!
- Suck E. Cheese's: Goof Nutz Pizza
- Super Serum /PsychoSerum: The Rack-U-Tane makes Napoleon incredibly powerful. So naturally Kip steals it.
- The Tag: Usually depict an oddly fantastical sight (i.e. the Goof Nuts Pizza band revealing themselves as real, and Kip and Uncle Rico find treasure in a small pool)
- Tara Strong: The Goof Nutz Pizza kangaroo, Scantronica and Candy.
- Those Two Guys: Rex and Starla.
- Took a Level In Kindness: Uncle Rico. In the movie, he had a more antagonistic role, while in the animated series he seems to have a more likeable personality. However, he is still despised by most the characters.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Napoleon. He's much more thoughtless and rude (especially to Deb) then in the movie.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Napeleon, Pedro, and Deb.
- Wacky Racing: Bed Races
- You Are in Command Now: According to the town charter, in the event that the Mayor is unable to perform his duty, the chain of command follows down the line from Mayor > Police Chief > Student Body President > Tae Kwon Do Instructor > Mob Rule. Because of the town being overrun by lygers, Pedro gets to assert his authority.