One Missed Call
"That's not my ringtone..."
One Missed Call is a 2008 American remake of J-horror movie Chakushin Ari. The main plot is that a spirit inside cell phones will call itself and play for the owner what they'll sound like when they die shortly after. This version stars Shannyn Sossamon and Edward Burns. The film was hugely panned by film critics, as it ended up garnering a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Black Chick Dies First: Poor Meagan Good.
- Cell Phone: (duh)
- Cultural Translation
- Dark Secret: One of the main characters hides the fact that they're committing Munchausen's By Proxy.
- Evil Phone
- For the Evulz: After its first few victims, the ghost really seems to have no reason to kill anybody besides plain old sociopathy.
- Gratuitous Special Effects
- Haunted Technology: the phone.
- Ironic Nursery Tune: The aforementioned ringtone-that-is-not-theirs.
- Orphanage of Fear
- The Call Knows Where You Live: Remove the battery from your phone? The call will still get through. Cancel your cell phone service and break the processor chips in your phone? It'll still ring.
- You Can't Fight Fate: You would think that trying to avoid saying the "last words" a victim hears would null the prophecy, but... actually, none of the characters thought of that. a Prophecy Twist is still possible, on special occasions.