Secret Mountain Fort Awesome
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome is a 2011 animated show that recently premiered on Cartoon Network, created by Peter Browngardt (a storyboard artist whose credits include Chowder and SpongeBob SquarePants).
The show is about five monsters known as Disgustoids who live in an underground mountain (the title fort of the series) and generally cause mischief either among themselves or with the people on the surface world while trying to fit in with them. Said monsters are:
- Festro: The de facto leader of the bunch, a purple monster with giant fangs who only wears underwear.
- Fart: The only sensible monster of the bunch. He also happens to be made entirely out of butts.
- Dingle: The blue monster who acts mostly like a dog and speaks in gibberish.
- Slog: The hairy monster with a big nose.
- and Gweelok: A monster who looks like a giant puss ball.
The show is considered a spin-off of the Cartoonstitute short "Uncle Grandpa", which featured prototype versions of the five main Disgustoids. Uncle Grandpa recently made a comeback in the episode "Secret Mountain Uncle Grandpa", where he is seen as a Santa Claus-style legend by the Disgustoids.
Secret Mountain Fort Awesome contains the following tropes:
- 419 Scam: In the episode "The 6th Disgustoid" Gweelok fell for this trick reading an e-mail from a scammer claiming to be the prince of some foreign country. The scammer's identity is revealed to be Bromanor.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: The third episode has the group making a bet with Gweelok that he can't use the internet for 24 Hours. Not surprisingly they try to tempt him to use it.
- Deranged Animation: Though considering Cartoon Network's recent efforts, this shouldn't come as a surprise.
- Dropped a Bridget On Him: Bromanor.
- Five-Man Band
- Hair as Ears: Dingle has hair that looks like dog ears.
- Gross-Out Show: Taken Up to Eleven
- The Hedonist: All five Disgustoids have traits of this, though Festro is easily the much hedonistic of the bunch.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Gweelok is Freakazoid!
- Killer Rabbit: The adorable (and huge) kitten in the second episode Fart falls for its cuteness and gets eaten but explodes it from the inside with his farts.
- Infinity Plus One Television: The Megavision television was said to get Infinity Plus One channels.
- Insane Troll Logic: Somehow eating sandwiches with 4 year old mayo allows you to travel through time.
- Medium Blending: This show mixes hand-drawn animation with cut-out photography.
- Only Sane Man: Fart.
- Our Monsters Are Weird
- Paper-Thin Disguise: In the first episode, the Disgustoids put mustaches on their faces, which make them look like real life humans (emphasis on real life)
- Shout-Out: The short Peace on Earth in the episode "7,002".
- Also there's a huge scene in "President the Fart" that is based off the Rainbow Road in Mario Kart. Dingle even plays a similar role of Lakitu when Festro falls off.
- "Broken Chair" has a part where Dingle has his own band. They play a song that sounds similar to Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne. Dingle then holds a bat and appears to be fixing to bite its head off then he kisses it instead.
- The Unintelligible: Dingle, yet the other monsters can understand him.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Festro apparently has a crippling fear of mom jeans, which the other Disgustoids help him conquer.
- What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs?