Smosh is a popular, comedic YouTube duo, currently ranked #4 most subscribed of all time. Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox, ages 22 and 21 respectively, are the stars of Smosh. They became famous in 2005 for their lipsynch to the first English Pokémon theme song. They have created some of YouTube's most popular videos, including "Teleporting Fat Guy" and the "Boxman" series. Videos can be found at their official site Smosh.com and on their YouTube channels smosh, IanH, askcharlie, anthonypadilla, ElSmosh, and ShutUpCartoons.
- Ahoge: The infomercial salesman in the Runbrella commercial has one.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Siri Tried To Kill Me!
- Angrish: A throwaway line by Ian in the Food Battle 2009 bloopers. "I talk gibberish when I'm angry!"
- An Axe to Grind: Axe Murderer. Ian thinks an intruder is going to attack, but really The "murderer", AKA Anthony, is only trying to return the axe.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In Real Death Note, Ian lists the people he intends to kill with the Death Note: murderers, robbers, and the cast of Jersey Shore.
- Also with Parents Suck, when they can say f---, s---, and darn
- Ascended Meme: In Xtreme Sleepover!, While the two boys are trying to sleep, Anthony is lying flat on the ground facedown while Ian has his butt up in the air, leading to people saying Ian was Planking wrong. In The Pokemon Master!, Ian does the same thing, claiming to be "Snailing," which is way cooler than Planking.
- Ashes to Crashes: The lady's husband in THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Interruption: Subverted in this episode.
Interviewer: "Why don't you tell me a little bit about why you'd like to be a substitute teacher?"
Ian: "Well, I really, really love...BALLS! Sorry, what I meant to say is that I really love working with kids'...BALLS!"
- Beam Me Up, Scotty: Averted by the "If Movies Were Real 2" reenactment of the Luke, I Am Your Father scene. It is correctly quoted as "No, I am your father".
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch, and Yeti: Ian and Anthony go on a Bigfoot hunt and have to compete with Dane Shawson (played by Shane Dawson) for the prize. Shane says he made up the recent Bigfoot sightings, but Bigfoot really appears and attacks him.
- Big "Shut Up!": Used as a Couch Gag.
- Brick Joke: During Evil Fortune Cookie, Anthony's middle name (Danger).
- Call Back: Best Toy Ever recreates the scene from Dolls where Ian discovers Anthony's little secret....
- Catch Phrase: Can you imagine how stupid it'd be if X were actually realistic? *happy music*
- Cats Are Mean: Cat Soup.
- Celebrity Endorsement: Not exactly. Ian has to mention Shaun White's new snowboarding video game twice so that he can pay for his mother's beard transplant in Shaun White Pays For Woman's Beard Transplant.
- Couch Gag: A random clip playing when the Smosh logo comes up in the beginning always gets interrupte- SHUT! UP!
- Continuity Nod:
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Anthony gets one in A Very Hairy Situation W/ Billy Mays when he's mistaken for Billy Mays and kidnapped by terrorists. His punishment? Being forced to watch The Hills.
- Crosscast Role: Due to two males being the main actors, it's bound to happen.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Explainable
- Darker and Edgier: According to the opening, Boxman 2.0 is supposed to be this.
- Dead All Along: THE NEW GHOSTBUSTERS.
- Dear Negative Reader: The creator of Pubertina seems to have acknowledged that people don't like the show, and has added a link in the episodes that says, "Click if you don't like Pubertina!" (You can see it at 3:02 in this video here.) It redirects to an ear-grating video of Pubertina crying and sobbing in a 12 minute loop.
- Death Is Cheap: People die a lot. Most of them come back fine later. Lampshaded in Food Battle 2010.
Ian: Oh, hey Anthony.
Anthony: Wait, I just came back from the dead, and you're not even surprised.
Ian: Not really, it's kinda becoming a yearly occurance.
- Fun fact: Last year (2011), Ian and Anthony died 46 and 31 times, respectively. Not that anyone'd care.
- Department of Redundancy Department: A deleted scene from Ian Gets Lucky lists reasons why Anthony and Ian shouldn't be getting allowances. They have big noses. In case you missed it the first time it was mentioned, it shows up in a bigger size down the list. It's even lampshaded!
- Emo Teen: Being one is the only way to survive High School, according to what the Internet says in Four Years Foreplay. Hilarity Ensues when Ian's character shows up to school in dark clothing, guyliner, straightened hair, and (fake) facial piercings.
- Entendre Failure: During the Wandagra commercial in HARRY POTTER DELETED SCENES!
- Evil Foreigner: Steve in Breaking the Habit until his Heel Face Turn.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Anthony.
- Explosive Stupidity: Anthony, with the exploding churro!
- Eye Beams: In quite a few videos.
- One of the first examples is Spiderman, Spiderman.
Anthony as Dr. Octopus: Go, laser eyes.
Ian: DR. OCTOPUS DOES NOT HAVE LASER- AGGGHHHH!
- Also in the alternate ending for Breaking the Habit.
Anthony: We're zombies now!
Ian: Zombies with laser eyes! * BOOM*
- Flash Step: The Neighbour
- Flipping the Bird: Max in Hardcore Max 2 and Ian in Food Battle 2009.
- Metrosexual Hipster flips the bird twice in "Pokemon in Real Life 3"
- Foreshadowing: In Food Battle 2011, Ian darkly chuckles after Anthony suggests a duel with their two foods acting as guns. It seems slightly out of character and inappropriate for the moment, until we learn what he prepared for the duel....
- Friendship Moment: Left-Handed. "Friendship always wins!"
- Generic Name: "Bob... Bob Jones..."
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In-universe; the music video Meat In Your Mouth consists entirely of this trope being invoked and exaggerated.
- Grammar Nazi: Grammar Police.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Anthony is Mexican.
- Green Aesop: Amazing New Drink!
- Green-Eyed Monster: Whenever Anthony has any form of success, Ian becomes extremely jealous and resorts to name-calling and screaming rants. Ex: Male Model, A Hairy Situation w/ Billy Mays, Anthony Poses for Playgirl?! and The Famous Cheese Guy.
- Don't forget his jealousy-fueled rage in Food Battle 2008 due to Anthony winning the 2007 one.
- Groin Attack: Woe be onto you if you happen to be Anthony's genitals, which to date, has been kicked, turned into gold, slammed between a car door and sliced off by adamantium claws!
- Haunted House: Ian and Anthony learn that Anthony's house is haunted when they hear strange noises in the house. They soon learn the ghost is friendly, but there may be an unfriendly ghost when they heard a noise that wasn't the friendly ghost's doing.
- Actually, that was just Anthony playing with himself.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Ian and Anthony come really close to this.
- High School: Smosh and I Set My Friends On Fire sing about being a Freshman in Four Years Foreplay.
- Hollywood California: The California Stereotype Experiment. "Ian is deadset on proving wrong the stereotype that everyone in California surfs or lives next to a movie star. Unfortunately for him and Anthony the stereotype... may be true."
- Homosexual Reproduction: In Food Battle 2009, as a challenge, Anthony wears his burrito as a wig. It's so convincing that Teleporting Fat Guy believes he is a girl he knows and proposes to "her" on the spot, followed by pictures of their wedding, their honeymoon, and one of them with their 3 kids before accidentally knocking his wig off.
Teleporting Fat Guy: Sherrie, I hope we'll be together for- OH MY GOD, YOU'RE A DUDE!
- Idiot Hero: Anthony and Ian are shown as morons when they play themselves in their videos. Sometimes, however, one will be smarter than the other.
- In later seasons, Anthony is usually in the smarter of the two.
- Laxative Hero: In "Going to the Mountains", Anthony gets tricked into eating broccoli laced with laxatives.
- Man Child: Ian, depending on the episode.
- Megaton Punch: In a video exclusive to Smosh.com, Anthony (playing Edward from the Twilight series) buys blood from a dealer in a way similar to a drug deal. When he realizes it's fake blood, he Falcon Punches the dealer.
- Moral Dissonance: In the video "Toy Airplane." Anthony & Ian use a toy airplane that accidentally takes pictures of a murder. Then they spend the rest of the time trying to get the airplane back while doing NOTHING to bring the killer to justice.
- Mon: "Go, Anthonymon!" in Pokémon Theme.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits: In one video, Anthony's sister (played by Anthony) starts dating Ian, and Anthony's not too happy about that.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The creator of Beef-n-Go is named Roy Lee Jenkins.
- a "Creeed" song called "Anthony's Gone" is played in Anthony Is Mexican.
- No Indoor Voice: "GOD DAMN IT EDITOR!!!!"
- "GOD DAMN IT PREDATOR!!!!"
- Only Sane Man: Ian and Anthony could play tennis with this role, though Anthony tends to be this most of the time, especially at the end of the " If ___ was Real" videos.
- Subverted in HITCHHIKING DISASTER!. Ian has to put up with Anthony having a funeral for his pet rock, locking the car, and leaving his keys, and throwing his only pair of car keys at a bear. Turns out, Ian left his door open.
- Pacing Problems: One of the many problems with the "Pubertina" shorts. Characters ramble and talk over each other so often before quickly taking a Plot Detour, that it's often difficult to follow without getting confused.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Anthony uses one to trick Ian into believing that he's the tooth fairy.
- Perma-Stubble: Ian can always be recognized by this.
- Police Brutality: Played for Laughs, in which the 'police' usually resort to lethal force. By shooting the target continuously for five seconds.
- Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: In A Very Hairy Situation
- Ian: I don't think you understand... (cocks gun) You don't F*** ... WITH MY BEST FRIEND!!!
- Happy Kwanzaa mother-f***er!
- Real After All: Bigfoot and zombies
- Reality Ensues: The premise of the "If X were real" videos.
- Red Scare: Ian being a tad silly, as usual, mentions this briefly when Anthony announces their new Smosh Pit feature for the site.
Ian: I've been digging this hole for two weeks straight, for no reason whatsoever?! [...] You know what? I'm going to continue to dig this hole, and when I'm done, I'm turning it into a bomb shelter! And when the commies nuke us, guess who's not invited? YOU! And Jon Gosselin! * Digs*
- Running Gag: In their Food Battle videos, they always both fail the very first challenge.
- Also in their Food Battle videos, an announcer shows up at the end to tell the winner they just won and ask them what they're going to do now. When they reply, he'll ask if he can come, and they will often answer with an angry Big No .
- Throughout the blooper reel of the Zelda rap, the sword sheath keeps falling off on the first take of a scene.
- Anthony and Ian die in most Mailtime with Smosh.
- Cletus screaming in terror at the end of the Neighbour videos.
- The Scrappy: Pubertina, among their current Shut Up Cartoons lineup.
- Screw Yourself:
Anthony's Girlfriend: I have something to tell you.
Anthony's Girlfriend: I AM you!
- Serious Business: The Grammar Police video. Grammar is serious business.
- Shirtless Scene: Anthony Gets Engaged.
- Soap Punishment: Used in "If Cartoons Were Real". The South Park parody has Stan's mouth being washed with soap.
- Sound Effect Bleep
- Spit Take: Done by both boys with milk when they look at the sales of Ian's SHUT! UP! Droid phone app in Ian Gets Lucky...
- Done once more(!) when Anthony tries to take another sip of the milk. "Probably don't wanna drink that, I spit in that."
- Spoof Aesop: Real Death Note: "Books are dangerous. Play more video games."
- Stylistic Suck:
- One of the extras, Anthony's Own Video, shows us that Anthony's really incompetent with making videos by himself with Ian apparently being "dead" and all....
- Ian's mom's video in My Mom's AMAZING Video!".
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: Transformers Rap does this.
Ian: The Transformers creators wouldn't pay us to make this rap
They told us that the script was full of NONSENSE!
I bet you thought I was gonna say "crap", cause it rhymes with "rap", but I'm better than that!
- Super Drowning Skills: Poor Anthony. He's immune to a lot of things (cobra venom, groin punches, peer pressure, flesh eating viruses, rabies, and shark feces), but water is not one of them.
- Subverted in Food Battle 2010
- Tag-Team Suicide: When Batman and Robin attempt to make a video and become YouTube stars, they demonstrate things you could do as a hero. In one part of the video, Batman tries to give an injection to a rabid dog, but apparently winds up killing himself with the needle. Robin sees this, and injects himself with the shot, saying "I'll be with you soon, my love." However, Batman was just pretending to die, and when he realizes Robin is really dead, he doesn't care. He's just happy he'll be an Internet celebrity!
- That's What She Said
- They Killed Kenny: Peter
- Also both Ian and Anthony in their mail time with smosh videos, Food Battles and some others.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch: Left-Handed.
Ian: You just used your right hand! You owe me twenty bucks, bitch!
- The end of Stranded:
CRACK IS WHACK. BITCH.
- Ian's First Girlfriend.
Cockadoodle doo. BITCH!
- Sexist burger (Lunchtime With Smosh)
"Bye!" "Bye!" "Bye?" "Bye." "Bye. . . bitch."
- Ultra Super Death Gore Fest Chainsawer 3000: Super Head Esploder 5 in Anthony is Mexican.
- Unusual Euphemism: In the Mighty Smoshin' POWER RANGERS video, a man stealing a kid's candy says to Ian and Anthony (who try to stop him) "Screw off, cheesefarts."
- In 2 Guys 1 Bathroom, Ian thinks "If he sees me going to the stall, he's going to think I'm insecure and have a small tallywhacker. Wait... why'd I just call it a tallywhacker?" Then later in the video, as someone is waiting on Ian or Anthony to get done using the urinal, he exclaims: "Fine! I'll just use the stall! And I don't have a small tallywhacker!"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: If Anthony and Ian are portraying themselves, they're often an exaggerated Type 2; despite being best friends, they don't seem to give a damn about anything that happens to each other, even if the other one is outright killed.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Ian. A lot of their Youtube comments are about this. Anthony even acknowledges this in a Lunchtime With Smosh video where he says Ian has "cool eyes" while he has "poop eyes".
- Yandere: Siri, for Anthony in SIRI TRIED TO KILL ME!
- Yaoi Fangirl: Not surprisingly some of their fans. It's extremely hilarious to see Ian and Anthony's reactions when they are sent slash fanfiction of themselves.
- You Have Researched Breathing: "When I drowned in Food Battle 2006, I learned how to survive underwater - by holding my breath!"
- Your Mom: More specifically Ian's mom.
- Subverted once - Ian's mom really was in the catalog.
- though Anthony said "HELL YEAH" instead one time