The Angry Beavers/Recap/E01 Born to Be Beavers
Brothers Norbert and Daggett are forced out of their home after their mother gives birth to a second litter. Now it's time the two went off on their own and build their new home. Daggett wants to build a dam, the natural way, but Norbert would rather take the easy way out and set up a home anywhere without having to work. The places he chooses (under a railroad bridge, a chicken coop) prove to be disastrous, not to mention dangerous. Eventually, through a series of coincidental events, their own dam finally gets made.
Tropes featured in this episode:
- Characterization Marches On / Early Installment Weirdness: Daggett acts more responsible, and Norbert acts rather foolish and immature here. A stark contrast to their established personalities where Norb is the intelligent, straight-laced one, and Daggett is the irresponsible idiot.
- Creator Cameo: Mitch Schauler is the voice of the farmer who discovers the beavers hiding in his chicken coop.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Daggett and Norbert's sisters Stacy and Chelsea (not yet named at this point), appear briefly in the opening scenes. Bill Lickings has a voice-over early bird cameo in the opening as well.
- Everything's Better with Chickens: Not for Norb and Dag!
- Funny Background Event: Daggett is in the process of building his own dam. Norbert calls him up to the top of a railroad bridge. When Dag makes it to the top, we can see the view down below. Several of other beavers come by and steal Dag's wood supplies!
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Daggett taunts the farmer's dogs with, "Your mother is a three-legged toadstool!"
- The Glomp: First time Norb uses it on Dag ("Come on! BIIIIIIIIG HUG!). Does it again to Dag at the end of the episode, much to Dag's irritation. It becomes a Running Gag.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Or rather it's "Please don't make us leave!" for Daggett in the opening scene.
- Tempting Fate: Norbert (referring to the railroad bridge) "Give me one good reason why this isn't the most ideal place to crash!" Cue train whistle. "Okay, give me ANOTHER good reason!"
- Too Dumb to Live: Yeah, Norbert! Let's live under a railroad bridge! What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- What Were You Thinking?: Daggett has this attitude towards Norb what with his carelessness.