The Great Escape/Funny
- I loved the bit near the begining when Danny and Sedgwick try to escape with a group of Russian prisnors. They don't make it out, but they do know a little Russian!
Sedgwick: Danny, do you speak Russian?
Danny: A little, but only one sentence.
Sedgwick: Well, let me have it, mate.
Danny: Ya vas lyublyu.
Sedgwick: Ya ya vas...
Sedgwick: Lyubliu? Ya vas lyubliu. Ya vas lyublyu. What's it mean?
Danny: I love you.
Sedgwick: Love you!? What bloody good is that!?!
Danny: I don't know, I wasn't going to use it myself.
- Hilts and Archibald Ives... The Mole.
Hilts: What do they call a mole in Scotland?
Ives: A mole.
- The scene where Strachwitz looks through his prisoner profiles to find the one on Ives.
Strachwitz: Ives... Ives... Oh, yes. Archibald Ives. Scot. The photograph doesn't do justice.
Ives: (gives the man an indignant look) I'd like to see one of you under similar circumstances.
- Hilts has just taken some boards out of all the beds and Denys walks in after singing.
Cavendish: 5 golds rings, 4 calling birds, bloody singing, hi Hilts.
Hilts: Denys, wait...
Cavendish: 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves and a partridge, alley-oop!(jumps on to bed and falls through all three)
Hilts: (sees that Denys has fallen through bed) ...Never mind.
- The look on poor Cavendish's face!
- The tasting the moonshine!
Hendley: (tasting the moonshine, then speaks in a hoarse tone)Wow!
Hilts: (tasting the moonshine, then speaks in a hoarse tone)Wow!
Goff: (tasting the moonshine, is wracked with coughing and weakly says while still coughing) Wo! Wow!
- Loved Sedgewick and his dogged determination to keep his steamer trunk.
Random POW: What the hell have you got in there, a piano?
Sedgwick: Oh, that's very funny, mate.
Random POW: Sedgewick, you won't get this thing through.
Sedgwick: (pulling the trunk into the tunnel anyway) I'll cope!
Goff: Was that Sedgewick with his steamer trunk?
Random POW: Who else?
Goff: I wish he was back in Australia with his kangaroos.
- Just as the digging crew manages to hide everything from the approaching guards. Danny and Sedgwick have to come up with reasons for their presence. I always liked Sedgwick's calm demeaner when questioned after Danny's seemingly reasonable explanation of taking a shower.
Sedgwick: I'm watching him. I'm a lifeguard.
- The 'Fourth of July' party!
Ramsey: Up the rebels!
Goff: Down the British!
- Back to The Great Escape