The Lurking Horror
Infocom's 1987 entry into the horror genre opens in the computer lab at G.U.E. Tech. You've braved a snowstorm to finish an important assignment, but find your work interrupted by strange nightmares. When your paper vanishes from the server you find yourself exploring the campus for answers.
- Blob Monster
- Closed Circle: You're forced to spend the night in the computer lab by a blizzard.
- Copy Protection: Your user name and password.
- Expy: G.U.E. Tech for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Feelies: Your student ID card and a little rubber centipede.
- Have a Nice Death: Averted, surprisingly for the usually snarky Infocom.
- Lovecraft Lite: The monsters are terrifying, but for all the Lovecraftian trappings it's more general horror than a Cosmic Horror Story.
- Mad Scientist: If you consider alchemy a science.
- Moon Logic Puzzle: The maze at the bottom of the tunnels.
- Mundane Utility: The disembodied hand. And how.
- Nightmare Sequence / Or Was It a Dream?
- Summoning Ritual
- Time Marches On: Much of the premise relies on 1980s computer networking technology, enough so that at times the game feels like a Period Piece.
- Unwinnable by Design: Generally falls under Tough on Zarf's scale.