As mentioned in The Oldest Ones in the Book, those tropes cannot be any more recent than 1993, and even then, those only apply to tropes originating with The Internet. Anything else has to be Older Than the Web, or around for at least 30 years.
But there are some tropes that are really young, that still have that "New Trope Smell" -- sometimes as recent as the Turn of the Millennium. Anything around no earlier September 1993 is one of The Newest Ones in the Book.
Of course it's hard to tell just how old a trope is, and it may turn out some we thought were new were actually older. Or some may turn out not to be that old, so they belong here. Some may have a clear beginning past this point, likely due to the Trope Maker being recent. Either way, it's a trope that simply didn't exist, at least in the way we know it, before Disco died.
Use the discussion page to determine if one is older than this.
Since History Marches On, we're already creating new subpages as the number of years that count as "new" grows. We start with:
- Older Than the Web - First seen between the invention of television (1940s) and September 1993.
Everything listed below dates from after the dawn of the Web.
- The Abridged Series: Since the Trope Maker is just a few years old.[when?]
- Alien Autopsy: The FOX Network's TV special Alien Autopsy: Fact Or Fiction is the Trope Maker and first aired in 1995.
- Can You Hear Me Now?: Cell phones were not in general use until the early- to mid-1990s.
- Character Blog
- Date My Avatar
- Gun Kata: It was created for Equilibrium in 2002.
- Microtransactions: Started to kick in in the 6th generation of video games.
- Moe: is a phenomenon of the 21st century, although prototypical forms existed in the 1980s and 1990s.
- New Media Tropes: Likewise, any trope with "internet" in the title emerged no earlier than the mid-1990s.
- Troll: Writing deliberately inflammatory material for the sake of attracting attention surely predates the Internet, but the Internet and GIFT brought Trolling to the masses.
- Two Gamers on a Couch: Started about 1998 or so.
- Video Game Tropes: Save for a handful that are Older Than the NES.
- Wiki Tropes