The Sitter is a 2011 comedy directed by David Gordon Green starring Jonah Hill as Noah, a university student who gets suspended and ends up back at home living with his mother. After a heated debate with his mom, he's coerced into babysitting his attractive neighbor's three kids for the evening. As fate would have it, though, Noah receives an invitation to a party across town with the promise of sex, and decides to go with the Terrible Trio in tow. However, what should normally be a simple trek through New York City turns into a zany, madcap misadventure Noah wasn't expecting.
Definitely not to be confused with Adventures in Babysitting.
- Affably Evil: Karl keeps track of his best friends, and cites Noah as his 8th best friend, despite having his egg stolen.
- Calling the Old Man Out: Noah confronts Dr. Pedulla about his affair with his assistant.
- Creepy Child: Adopted child Rodrigo, who often threatens to hurt people and likes fireworks a 'little' too much, but he has a Freudian Excuse for all this, as he was already adopted by two other families who gave him up, causing him to feel unwanted
- Groin Attack: Julio gets a firecracker to the nuts, which catch fire. He apparently dies from this later.
- Hot Mom: Mrs. Pedulla.
- Noah's mom is pretty good looking as well.
- Jerkass: Noah's dad, Dr. Pedulla, Ricky, and Marisa.
- Karma Houdini: Subverted. Noah does get caught by the police with the cocaine and diamonds stolen from his father's store, but they just take those and leave him behind without taking him into custody. Then played straight he apparently simply gets away with wrecking the Pedulla's minivan.
- Same goes for Rodrigo after destroying TWO bathrooms.
- Marisa suffers very little personal payback for dragging Noah into a life threatening situation, callously trying to abandon the kids to save her own skin and just being a general Jerkass. She does get dumped by Noah but even that is one of the most sensitive dumpings in movie history - Noah even gives her a lift home!
- Shallow Love Interest: Marisa
- Single-Issue Psychology: Slater's mental problems are apparently all the result of repressing his homosexuality.
- Invisible to Gaydar: Slater is outed by Noah, but he becomes defensive about it before admitting he sort of always knew.
- Uncanny Valley Makeup: Dear GOD, Blithe.
- Where Are They Now? Epilogue