Total Drama Island/Characters/The Host and His Sidekick
Total Drama Island's cast got so big that the page had to be split into several pages. This page is for Chris McLean and Chef Hatchet.
"The great thing about lawyers is, that they make LOTS of copies."
Voiced by: Christian Potenza
Chris McLean is the host of the program. He speaks with a "skater" accent. Easy-going and fairly sadistic, he enjoys making the campers suffer and many of the challenges are clearly geared towards this end, saying his trademark phrase "Awwwee-some!!!" whenever a challenge is particularly life-threatening. He clearly has no regard for their well-being, remarking that he doesn't care what happens on the show so long as he still gets paid. (Despite this, he cares about the campers/contestants at least a little bit, as shown in Haute Camp-ture and in the Total Drama Action Special.) His talents include speaking and figure skating. He frequently mentions that he hired interns in the pre-production phase of the show, most of whom apparently died during the process of setting up the challenges.
- 0% Approval Rating: He is hated by every contestant.
- Ass Pull: Chris is the master of this trope.
- Attention Whore: In spades. See Celebrity Endorsement and It's All About Me below.
- Ax Crazy: Especially so in Revenge of the Island.
- Bad Boss: While Chris treats the contestants poorly, he treats his interns worse.
- Big Bad: Word of God states that Chris will always be the true villain of the show.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The little to Chef's big.
- Berserk Button: In Total Drama World Tour, Sierra reveals that he was once in a boy band and was heavily mocked afterwards. He was also born in 1978. NEVER mention it. He's also not a fan of being corrected, even when he's wrong. And don't even think about interrupting him.
- Break the Haughty: Although he is usually a Karma Houdini, he occasionally gets what's coming to him, such as getting trapped in the camp's septic tank in "Eat, Puke and Be Wary".
- Broken Pedestal: To Sierra.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: That's why they pay him the big bucks!
- Butt Monkey: He's the butt of a joke at the end of every season.
- Catch Phrase: "Awwwee-some!!!"
- Celebrity Endorsement: In-universe, Chris will put his name and/or face on anything. In Revenge of the Island, he has his own brand of products, including hot chocolate, soaps and conditioners, and instant coffee.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: He frequently enjoys dishing this out to the campers.
- The Danza
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: The only way one could disagree about him being one is if you consider Total Drama not to be a kid-friendly show.
- Devil in Plain Sight
- Draco in Leather Pants: In-universe, Sierra thinks he's an amazing host, and he gets this treatment in a whole lot of fanfics, but usually only ones which aren't fan-seasons; in those types, he's usually worse than he is in the actual show. Sierra's mother has a crush on him.
- Near the end, Sierra sees him for what he really is.
- Dungeon Master: His job is to make the challenges interesting, and constantly pays lip service to his own rules.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas / Momma's Boy: Implied by Dakota in "The Treasure Island of Dr. McLean", when she mockingly asks him "How many times have you called your mommy today".
- Even Evil Has Standards: Despite his sadism, he has a few in the first season.
- He was genuinely disgusted when Heather read Gwen's diary on National Television. Though this was in the first season, before he Took a Level in Jerkass.
- Also, when an actual psycho killer with a chainsaw and a hook encounters Gwen, even he was shocked about that.
- Mike calls him out on this in "The Treasure Island of Dr. McLean", stating that burying someone alive is dangerous, even by his standards.
- Evil Laugh: He pulls off a pretty impressive one in the first episode of Revenge of the Island.
- Faux Affably Evil
- For the Evulz: Before the start of the Yukon challenge, Chris mentions that in the past, he noticed that teams tend to work much harder during elimination rounds. Just because he can, he promises that every challenge COULD result in an elimination from now on.
- Game Show Host
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Chef.
- I Know Madden Kombat: His role as badminton player, the Flipper in Badminton: The Movie in Get A Clue.
Chris: It's not Badminton, it's Goodminton, Heck, it's Greatminton!
- I Lied
- It Amused Me: Chris does a lot of stuff just for this. He set up a pit of quicksand on Boney Island, but couldn't believe someone would actually be stupid enough fall into it. Cue the laughter.
- It's All About Me: Chris runs the show, and his personal tastes influence both the challenges and their outcomes at times.
Chris: Hey, it's my show! I can do what I want!
- Jerkass: He is generally a sadistic host.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: The only reason he ever worries that the contestants might die is because the show would be canceled if they did.
- Karma Houdini: Until the last episode of Revenge Of The Island.
- Kick the Dog:
- In the Yukon, Bridgette gets her tongue stuck to a pole. Instead of giving her his hot water bottle, he drinks it in front of her, then throws it on the ground with nothing left. Just to add further insult to injury, he prior makes her sing while her tongue is still stuck to the pole.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He turns Alejandro into "Darth Alejandro" in the finale after he gets scorched by and even laughs about it after Alejandro freaks out.
- Lack of Empathy: One notable example is pretty much anything he does to the interns. When he unleashed the carnivorous scarab beetles in Egypt, he was standing on top of an intern, who was raising him up off the ground like a piece of furniture. The scarabs begin to crawl up the intern, who was then quivering in fear. The next scene shows all the kids running away, but when we pull back to Chris, the intern was stripped clean to the bone. He continues to use the intern's skeleton as a footrest later on in the episode, not even batting an eyelash about it.
- Large Ham
- Mad Bomber: A minor example, but still present.
Chris: (Detonates explosive) We had some explosives left over, and I just hate to waste...
- Manipulative Bastard
- Old Shame: Chris was NEVER in a boy band. DON'T ever insinuate otherwise. Nor should you mention his cooking show and the godawful films about talking cats.
- Running Gag: McLean-Brand products in TDRI.
- Screams Like a Little Girl
- Screw the Rules, I Make Them: Chris is this trope. Heather lampshades this in Masters of Disasters and Alejandro lampshades this in "The Am-AH-Zon Race".
- Stuff Blowing Up: He enjoys blowing stuff up, especially so in Revenge of the Island.
- In "Who Can You Trust?", he uses mild explosives as an obstacle in the rock climbing challenge and later in the blind toboggan race.
- In "Bigger! Badder! Brutal-er!", he blows up, with McLean-Brand explosives, the new contestants' boat, Dakota's paparazzi entourage, and Owen. Also, he rigs the teams' totems with bombs with 7-minute timers.
- In "Backstabbers Ahoy!", he puts mines out in the lake, with Dakota and Bridgette getting blown up while demonstrating the challenge.
- In "A Mine is a Terrible Thing to Waste", due to pressure from a government environmental agency, he sends the campers into an abandoned mine turned toxic dump with bombs strapped to their backs. After the campers evacuate the mine, he blows it shut.
- However, he did NOT like it when Sierra accidentally blew up the Total Drama Jumbo Jet in "Awwwwww, Drumheller" & when Duncan blew up Mount Chrismore in "Grand Chef Auto".
- Surfer Dude: His voice actor is most known for this, and he sounds like one himself.
- Talking to Himself: In Quebec, his actor (Antoine Durand) is also Owen and Harold. Also, Christian Potenza voices Chris' cousin Jerd in "Newf Kids on the Block".
- Teen Hater: He explicitly shows his contempt towards the contestants in "Runaway Model".
- Took a Level in Jerkass: He takes one in every successive season.
- Villain Protagonist
- Villainous Breakdown: Chris loses it when Sierra accidentally blows up his plane.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Chef.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Said word per word to Owen at the beginning of Revenge of the Island, with regards to why the original cast didn't dock at the island and why they're not part in season four.
"I slave over a hot stove cookin' dolphin... no appreciation!"
Voiced by: Clé Bennett
Chef Hatchet is the mess hall's chef. Chef is a big, loud, (mostly) silent, tough, intimidating man with a permanent sneer on his face. He is a Lethal Chef and bares a humorously distorted resemblance to Samuel L. Jackson or Roadblock. Aside from cooking the meals, he also assists Chris in tormenting the campers, such as when he dresses up as a spider to scare Leshawna and flies a rickety plane with Owen and Izzy- in fact, he and Chris appear to be close buddies. He is also known to be good at playing the... HARP?!?
- A Day in the Limelight: Twice in TDI, once where he was in charge of a boot-camp / military-themed challenge and once where he hosted the entire show while Chris was away at an awards show.
- He also got more of the spotlight when he formed an illegal alliance with DJ in Action and Blaineley in World Tour.
- Berserk Button: Don't ever get caught in his kitchen, otherwise known as "Forbidden Territory". Also, don't touch or mess with ANYTHING that belongs to Chef.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: The big to Chris' little.
- Death Glare: His default look.
- The Dragon: To Chris's Big Bad in many ways.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Dungeon Master: Twice in Island.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He was a little shocked when he thought he killed Izzy during the alien challenge.
- Evil Chef
- Evil Laugh: Most of the time, he is a Giggling Villain; however, he pulls off a big one in "Grand Chef Auto" and "Eat, Puke and Be Wary".
- Fan Disservice: Anytime Chef wears a dress.
- Fingore: He gets his finger caught in the window of the refrigerated truck in "A Mine is a Terrible Thing to Waste".
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Chris.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: To Chris.
- I Take Offense to That Last One
Izzy: If I can handle hand-to-paw combat with a polar bear... (chuckles) I can handle a bald, emotionally-withdrawn cook in a Halloween costume.
- Kick the Dog: He puts Dawn in a garbage bag before catapulting her off the island.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: When he throws the boom box at Chris and knocks him out in Jamaica Me Sweat.
- Lethal Chef: Intentionally invoked, most likely by Chris. He can cook very well when he wants to, particularly when the food is for himself, but it's his job to make barely edible slop for the campers.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: On rare occasions. Mainly reserved for DJ.
- The Medic
- Nice Hat
- The Munchausen: Nobody's quite sure what war he was in.
- Perpetual Frowner
- Psycho for Hire: Enjoys what he does (most of the time).
- The Quiet One: Most of the time.
- Real Men Wear Pink: But he wishes they didn't.
- Scary Black Man
- Suddenly Shouting: (to Lindsay) "Listen here. You have nothing to be ashamed of... except for being a little baby and letting your team down!"
- Talking to Himself: When talking to DJ.
- However, in Canadian French, it's any scene with Geoff.
- Teen Hater