Trope Workshop:Screw The Pain Medication
|This is a Trope Workshop page, still under consideration for creation.|
Help out by editing the current page, or leave a comment on the Talk page.
Trope Workshop Guidelines
This Trope page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
Someone is hurt pretty bad, yet still conscious. They need medical help, likely need surgery. They're getting ready for a major operation, the doctor is ordered not to use pain killers, like alone anaesthesia. This order was made by the injured character themselves. Sure, they know they're in serious pain and needs to be treated, but for these folks pain isn't much of the problem.
This trope is often used to show one of many things: the patient is proving to be a badass, just simply doesn't feel any pain, or in some cases, pain killers aren't simply around. It's often seen in cases where a character engages in Self-Stitching, where pain medication is either rare or not around. This is can go Up To Eleven if it's a Life or Limb Decision. Yet, for most, they rather put up with the pain for a host of reason.
- 1 Advertising
- 2 Anime and Manga
- 3 Comic Books
- 4 Fan Works
- 5 Film
- 6 Literature
- 7 Live-Action TV
- 8 Music
- 9 New Media
- 10 Newspaper Comics
- 11 Oral Tradition, Folklore, Myths and Legends
- 12 Pinball
- 13 Podcasts
- 14 Professional Wrestling
- 15 Puppet Shows
- 16 Radio
- 17 Recorded and Stand Up Comedy
- 18 Tabletop Games
- 19 Theatre
- 20 Video Games
- 21 Visual Novels
- 22 Web Animation
- 23 Web Comics
- 24 Web Original
- 25 Western Animation
- 26 Other Media
- 27 Real Life
- In the RPF, Just Taken, Melanie strictly requests that she isn't given pain medication after she was badly injured in a fight. She even woke up during the middle of an emergency surgery, which she just shrugs it off. Of course, this request was later declined when she finds herself in a different hospital.
- Spice Fortress Series, none of the women are given any medicine, even during surgery. Yet, they seemed not to care.
- Tank Girl, Kesslee is badly injured, resulting in the loss of his arm and face. Yet, he orders his doctor not to give him painkillers
- In The Wolverine, Logan skips pain killers to perform open-heart surgery to remove a parasite that was messing up his Healing Factor.
- In No Country for Old Men, after destroying a car to steal antibiotics without being seen, Anton Chigurh goes forward with performing Self-Stitching of his knee in a very calm matter.
- Cast Away had a Chuck removing a bad tooth with an ice skate and rock, without any medication.
- The Cardinal of the Kremlin, after getting shot, a state trooper notifies his superiors about his shooters and the hostages. He declines to form any medication for pain to go through it.
- Cotton Hill from King of the Hill explained while at a VA hospital, he tried to justified his reason to refuse pain killers by asking "Did Lincoln ask for girly gas when they blow'd his head off?".