Trope Workshop:Shield Slinger
|This is a Trope Workshop page, still under consideration for creation.|
Help out by editing the current page, or leave a comment on the Talk page.
Trope Workshop Guidelines
This Trope page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
A character is known for wielding a shield as their weapon of choice. A person who is badass enough to show defense is the greatest offense. A slinger would often use shields guard themselves, but they may also protect others. They not only use it to guard but also a means of attack as well. One method is bashing the shield against the opponent. Another form of using a shield would be throwing it much like a boomerang to cause damage long range. There also some cases where the shield is magical, where it can do more than a normal shield. Another could come in the form of a shield combination with another weapon. One of the most important things that a shield slinger could say is their shield is anything but useless.
- 1 Advertising
- 2 Anime and Manga
- 3 Comic Books
- 4 Fan Works
- 5 Film
- 6 Literature
- 7 Live-Action TV
- 8 Music
- 9 New Media
- 10 Newspaper Comics
- 11 Oral Tradition, Folklore, Myths and Legends
- 12 Pinball
- 13 Podcasts
- 14 Professional Wrestling
- 15 Puppet Shows
- 16 Radio
- 17 Recorded and Stand Up Comedy
- 18 Tabletop Games
- 19 Theatre
- 20 Video Games
- 21 Visual Novels
- 22 Web Animation
- 23 Web Comics
- 24 Web Original
- 25 Western Animation
- 26 Other Media
- 27 Real Life
- Naofumi Iwatani, from The Rising of the Shield Hero, where he is summoned into another world as one of four Legendary Heroes. Each hero wields a legendary weapon, and Naofumi was summoned with the Legendary Shield. The world functions like an RPG, and with him equipping the shield, his defense is increased massively, where there is very little that can damage him. The Legendary Shield can also absorb materials and can transform into new forms based on them. While not having any skills towards offense, it has many defensive and counter skills that are useful in battle, especially with his party members.
- Maple (Kaede Honjou in real life) from BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense. She first enters the game by adjusting her stats to Vitality while also equipping a great shield as her primary weapon. This method has to lead her to become quite the tank where her defense is so high that damage can't be done. By focusing on her Vitality, it has left her with no offense and speed compared to other players stat-wise. However, she compensates by gaining Skills that allow for increased defenses, counter attacks, offense, and movement.
- B3 AKA Barbaroy Bad Burn (Fujibayashi Kozue in real life), from Infinite Dendrogram, uses shields made for giants as her main weapons. There is also her jobs that focus on defense, along with the use of shields. Her main methods of attacks are just crushing her opponents under her shield. There is also her Embryo, Atlas, that manipulate gravity and its Ultimate Skill that converts her defense to attack while multiplying by 10 for 10 seconds.
- Mercurymon, from Digimon Frontier, has two mirror shields that help him use his attack for counter attacks or to absorb attacks to release with reversed characteristics.
- Cruss, from Beet the Vandel Buster, uses a shield as his main weapon. The shield he uses is attached to a chain tether that retracts when thrown. There is also how he could use it to purify toxins in combination with his Divine Art of Water. His Saiga, Crown Shield, can give a counter-attack from whatever hits it. It also has a second form that turns into a spike ball with a chain.
- Tooru Kokonoe, from Absolute Duo, whose Blaze takes the form of a shield. It takes this form due to how he focuses on protecting others with his power. It seems unbreakable akin to his will and is harder to break compared to other Blazes.
- Lambo, from Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, who's Volgola Box Weapon he uses is Bufalo Fulmin ver. Vongola. This Box Weapon comes in the form of a black bull covered in armor with the Vongola Crest on his head. When used in his Cambio Forma, it turns into a helmet and shield. The weapon is modeled after the weapon of choice for the first generation Vongola Lightning Guardian, Lampow. The shield can use the Lightning flames to unleash lighting at the enemy. Another use of the Lightning Flames is the Hardening characteristics that can increase the defense of the shield.
- Captain America, from Marvel Comics, is known for how he often uses his vibranium shield as his weapon. He often uses it by throwing at his opponent while also ricocheting back to him. His iconic shield is also hard to break, which has been using from most enemy attacks.
- Yukito Sanjyou/ AbaraBlue, from Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger, who uses the Tricera Bunker as his weapon. While the Tricera Bunker can be used as a shield, it has a spike at the end that can be used for attacks. There is also Ryouga Hakua when he uses the StyRiser to transform into AbareMax. The StyRiser has two modes, which are Defense Mode for the shield and Offense Mode, that can extend a blade from it. The shield has the power to take him and the enemy to another dimension called the Explosive Orbit: Max Field. In this dimension, he can manipulate the realm to defeat a monster and AbareKiller couldn't beat him the first time. It is also used to control Styraco, MaxOhJa, and MaxRyuuOh.
- Ethan James/ Blue Dino Ranger, from Power Rangers Dino Thunder, has the Tricera Shield as his personal weapon. It is a shield that has a spike at the end to use for an offense. Another example is Conner McKnight when he uses the Shield of Triumph to transform into Triassic Ranger. The Shield of Triumph can also extend a blade known as the Sword of Triumph. It also has the power to transport him and his opponent to the Triassic Dimension, where he has complete control of it. It also acts as a control key for the Mezodon Megazord.
- Nobuharu Udo/ Kyoryu Blue, from Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, uses the Stego Shield as his Zyuden Arm when using Armed On.
- Koda/ Dino Charge Blue Ranger, from Power Rangers Dino Charge, uses the Stego Shield as a part of his arsenal.
- Shielder, from Fate/Grand Order, is the servant to Ritsuka Fujimaru. She is a Demi-Servant who uses a large cross-shaped shield as her main weapon. The longer end of the shield is used as a sword but can be used as a defense. Her Noble Phantasms are based on defending attacks or increasing defense.
- Goofy, from Kingdom Hearts series, uses a shield for both offense and defense. He is a physical fighter who usually knocks enemies around with his shield. He has different moves for bashing enemies like spinning like a tornado to hit multiple enemies.
- There is also Vexen, who uses his shield, Frozen Pride, in combat. He uses mostly cover while using ice magic as an offense. He can also cover the shield in ice to create a sword.
- Gray, from Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny, who is a draconic warrior that dual-wields a pair of shield gauntlets as his weapons. In battle, the best position for him is in front of the party to absorb enemy attacks especially with his Taunt ability. It seems he based his weapons on his captain, Galahad, as he was a warrior under him before being cursed.
- Shield Knight, from Shovel Knight, dual-wields small and large shields. She uses the larger shield to block frontal attacks and charge towards an opponent. Shield Knight also throws her shield while somehow coming back to her like a boomerang. She can also bash her shield hard enough against a wall to cause the ceiling to collapse.
- Subverted with Leonardo Lionheart, from RWBY, with his weapon, Stalwart, being a shield but doesn't have much in the ways of battle. Stalwart is a wrist-mounted shield that different containers for Dust. He can discharge projectiles when Leonardo conjures a glyph along with the selected Dust like shooting flaming rocks. Leonardo doesn't hold himself in a fight as he prefers just to guard or fight long-ranged that shows an irony from his surname.
- Played straight with Robyn Hill and her weapon, which has crossbow and shield forms. As a crossbow, it resembles her emblem that can fire telescopic bolts, which is relatively slow and fragile. This disadvantage is compensated through the use of Dust that can make them explosive. The shield form folds the wings into a circular shield as a form of defense. She is a capable fighter as she managed to battle both Blake and Yang on even ground despite fighting one on two.
- Zandor, from the Herculoids, uses a shield as his main weapon but uses for defense rather than offense.
- Steven, from Steven Universe, has a shield as his gem weapon which inherited from his mother. The shield is durable enough to take charged shot from a Gem Warship. It can also be thrown as a weapon that can cut through solid rock and damage metal. One aspect of the shield is how it can vibrate enough that it can deconstruct magic constructs like those made by water or holograms.
- The Turtle Miraculous, from Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir, gives a person a turtle-themed costume while also a shield as the wielder's primary weapon. This Miraculous can also provide superhuman strength, speed, and endurance. The unique power it has as a Miraculous is called Shell-ter, which has the shield generate a green barrier that can take a massive amount of damage but is breakable.
- Eric, from Dungeons & Dragons, is the Cavalier that is somewhat spoiled and cowardly teen but has a heroic side. He wields a magic shield that can project a force field.