Trope Workshop:Shield Slinger
|This page needs some cleaning up to be presentable.|
Needs an edit pass for grammar, usage and style.
|This is a Trope Workshop page, still under consideration for creation.|
Help out by editing the current page, or leave a comment on the Talk page.
Trope Workshop Guidelines
This Trope page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
A character is known for wielding a shield as their weapon of choice. A person who is badass enough to show defense is the greatest offense. A slinger would often use shields guard themselves, but they may also protect others. They not only use it to guard but also a means of attack as well. One method is bashing the shield against the opponent. Another form of using a shield would be throwing it much like a boomerang to cause damage long range. There also some cases where the shield is magical, where it can do more than a normal shield. Some would even dual wield their shield with another weapon. Another could come in the form of a shield combination with another weapon. One of the most important things that a shield slinger could say is their shield is anything but useless.
- Naofumi Iwatani from The Rising of the Shield Hero, where he is summoned into another world as one of four Legendary Heroes that wields the Legendary Shield. The world acts like an RPG, and increases his defense massively so that very little that can damage him. The Legendary Shield also has different abilities and forms that give him defensive and counter skills.
- Maple (Kaede Honjou in real life), from BOFURI, first enters the game by pouring into her Vitality stat while also equipping a great shield as her primary weapon, and no player or monster can damage her. Focusing on Vitality has left Maple with no attack and mobility, but compensates by gaining Skills that allow for increased defenses, counter attacks, offense, and movement.
- B3 AKA Barbaroy Bad Burn (Fujibayashi Kozue in real life), from Infinite Dendrogram, uses shields made for giants as her main weapons. There is also her jobs that focus on defense, along with the use of shields. Her primary attacks are crushing her opponents under her shield and couples with her Embryo, Atlas.
- Mercurymon, from Digimon Frontier, has two mirror shields that help him use his attack for counter attacks or to absorb attacks to release with reversed attributes.
- Cruss, from Beet the Vandel Buster, uses a shield as his primary weapon. The shield he uses is attached to a chain tether that retracts when thrown and can purify toxins combined with his Divine Art of Water. His Saiga, Crown Shield, gives a counter-attack from whatever hits it and can transform into a spike ball with a chain.
- Tooru Kokonoe, from Absolute Duo, whose Blaze (weapons manifested from the soul) takes the form of a shield. It seems unbreakable akin to his will and uses as defense coupled with his martial arts skills.
- In Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Lambo wields the Volgola Box Weapon, Bufalo Fulmin ver. Vongola, which comes in the form of a black bull covered in armor; his Cambio Forma is a helmet and shield, the latter of which can unleash lighting at the enemy.
- Yukito Sanjyou/AbaraBlue of Bakuryu Sentai AbarangerBakuryu Sentai Abaranger]] uses the Tricera Bunker as his weapon. It can be used as a shield plus has a spike at the end for stabbing.
- There is also Ryouga Hakua when he uses the StyRiser to transform into AbareMax. The StyRiser has two modes as a shield and the other where a blade extends it. The shield has the power to take him, and the enemy to another dimension called the Explosive Orbit: Max Field, where he can manipulate the realm to defeat a monster.
- From Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Ethan James/Blue Dino Ranger has the Tricera Shield as his weapon. It is a shield that has a spike at the end to use for attacking.
- Another example is Conner McKnight when he uses the Shield of Triumph to transform into Triassic Ranger. The Shield of Triumph can extend a blade plus the ability to transport him and his opponent to the Triassic Dimension, where he has complete control of it.
- Nobuharu Udo/ Kyoryu Blue, from Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, uses the Stego Shield as his Zyuden Arm when using Armed On.
- Koda/ Dino Charge Blue Ranger, from Power Rangers Dino Charge, uses the Stego Shield as a part of his arsenal.
- Hiji Hino aka Kamen Rider OOO in his Tajadol Combo Form along with mismatches using the Kujaku Medal. In this form, he has access to the Taja Spinner, a combination of a shield and gauntlet that can block attacks, shoot fireballs, stream flame, and add fire to his punches.
- Subverted with Takatora Kureshima, aka Kamen Rider Zangetsu, from Kamen Rider Gaim, who uses the Melon Defender paired with a Musou Saber. The Melon Defender is a shield that can be used to block attacks while also having sharp edges that help handle it as a melee weapon and thrown like a boomerang. Enforced when he uses the Watermelon Arms to wields the Watermelon Gatling, which resembles the Melon Defender but with a minigun attached at the bottom.
- Shielder, from Fate/Grand Order, is the servant to Ritsuka Fujimaru. She is a Demi-Servant who uses a sizeable cross-shaped shield as her primary weapon and uses the longer end of her shield as a sword. Her Noble Phantasms involve defending attacks or increasing defense.
- Goofy in the Kingdom Hearts series use a shield for both offense and defense. He is a physical fighter who usually knocks enemies around with his shield plus has different moves for damaging enemies.
- There is also Vexen, who uses his shield, Frozen Pride, in combat. He often uses it as a buffer to cast ice magic while using its edge to attack, plus he can coat it in ice to create a sword.
- From Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny, Gray is a draconic warrior who dual-wields a pair of shield gauntlets as his weapons. In battle, he has excellent attacks and defense, which couples with his Taunt ability.
- Shield Knight from Shovel Knight dual-wields small and large shields. She uses the giant shield to block frontal attacks, charge towards an opponent, and throw her shield (which always comes back to her). She can also bash her shield hard enough against a wall to cause the ceiling to collapse.
- The main character of the Rygar series uses a weapon called the Diskarmor. It is a legendary shield attached to a chain that acts as the primary means of defense and attack.
- Subverted with Copen, from Azure Striker Gunvolt, where he wields a shield named Aix Gear and a gun named Border. Aix Gear can be used to block attacks or for a charging attack and can change into a longbow that can fire attacks copied from the Septima of defeated Sumeragi Seven Adepts.
- Pokémon Sword and Shield introduces Zamazenta, a wolf-like legendary Pokemon that can transform into their Crowned Shield form when wielding the Rusted Shield, giving them access to their signature move Behemoth Bash.
- The Shield power set in City of Heroes is primarily defensive, but includes a Shield-Bash among its powers.
- Subverted with Pyrrha Nikkos of RWBY, who Dual Wields Miló (javelin-rifle weapon) and Akoúo̱ (Greek Diphylon-like shield). She can control the shield and javelin with her Semblance of Polarity.
- Another subversion in Leonardo Lionheart's Stalwart, a wrist-mounted shield with different containers for Dust. He can discharge projectiles by conjuring glyphs, which fits his style of keeping a distance while cowering behind Stalwart.
- Played straight with Robyn Hill and her crossbow-shield weapon. It resembles her emblem and can fire telescopic bolts loaded with Dust as a crossbow, and folds the wings into a circular shield as a form of defense.
- Zandor, leader of The Herculoids, uses a shield as his main weapon but uses for defense rather than offense.
- Steven Universe has a shield as his gem weapon inherited from his mother. The shield is durable enough to take a charged shot from a Gem Warship plus defend against magical constructs. He can throw it as a weapon that can cut through solid rock and damage metal.
- The Turtle Miraculous, from Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Chat Noir, gives a person a turtle-themed costume with a shield as the wielder's primary weapon. The unique power as a Miraculous is called Shell-ter, which has the shield generating a green barrier that can damage massive amounts.
- Eric, from Dungeons & Dragons, is the Cavalier that is a somewhat spoiled and cowardly teen but has a heroic side. He wields a magic shield that can project a force field.