Vampire in Brooklyn
"Interesting. I've been stabbed, and I've been hanged, and I've been burned. Even broken on the rack once, but I've never been shot before. Kind of itches a little!"—Max
A 1995 horror/comedy film directed by Wes Craven. Maximillian (Eddie Murphy) is a vampire refugee from Jamaica who cannot stand to be alone. He has come to Brooklyn to seek out Rita Veder (Angela Bassett), the only known Half Vampire in America and teach her who she is. She just happens to be a police detective. Maximillian also has problems with the courting concept. Killing her annoying roommate Nikki (Simbi Khali) is not the way to impress a girl.
- Bond One-Liner: "Put a little heart in it" (while showing a dying man his own heart).
- Diving Save
- Evil Is Sexy
- Half Vampire
- He Went That Way!
- I'm a Humanitarian: Notable because Max apparently doesn't just drink blood. When Julius offers to get him some food, he flicks a massive gobbet of flesh out of his teeth and announces with a smirk, "I already had Italian."
- If You Kill Him You Will Be Just Like Him: Max dies satisfied, telling Rita "I knew you were a killer."
- Made From Real Girl Scouts: See above.
- Made of Iron: Max
- Magic Pants: Not only do Max's clothes survive all shape-shifts, he can change them into a different outfit and, at the end, when Julius becomes a vampire after putting on Max's ring, he gets a whole new outfit complete with sunglasses and jewelry!
- Mood Whiplash: The film tends to be awkward once it comes to transitioning from a vampire film and a Black Comedy. If it had just picked one, it probably would have been much better received, but since it wobbles back and forth...
- Moral Event Horizon: Debatable when this happens, some say it involves killing Nicki or maybe shooting a cat.
- Mugging the Monster
- Old Shame: Both Eddie Murphy and director Wes Craven have pretty much disowned this one.
- Our Ghouls Are Creepier
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Prophetic Dreams
- Shape Shifter: Max
- Too Kinky to Torture
- Uh-Oh Eyes: Max's eyes turn golden when he's doing anything vampiric.
- Undeath Always Ends
- Vampires Are Sex Gods: Lampshaded furiously at the end when Julius is stunned by how much bigger his dick has become.
- What Is Evil?