His play Le roi s'amuse was the basis of the Verdi opera Rigoletto.
Works written by Victor Hugo include:
Victor Hugo provides examples of the following tropes:
- Ermine Cape Effect: The play Ruy Blas was criticized for having the Queen in full regalia when she confessed her love to the eponymous character. Since it was a climax, he got away by invoking the Rule of Cool.
- Giant Eye of Doom: In the poem "The Conscience", Cain is followed everywhere by an eye.
- Historical Domain Character: Lucrezia Borgia, Ninety-Three, and many others
- Historical In-Joke: Ninety-Three, among others
- Nasty Party: Lucrezia Borgia