WMAC Masters is a choreographed martial-arts competition show produced by 4Kids! Entertainment.
WMAC stands for the World Martial Arts Council, an organization dedicated to the competition of the world's best martial artists, all competing for the "ultimate prize", the dragon star, which acts as a championship belt of sorts. For the most part, these competitions take the form of one-one-one obviously choreographed martial arts battles, though other demonstrations and tournaments are shown.
Clearly the inspirations are both Professional Wrestling (each of the fighters has a Gimmick and the whole thing is rather Kayfabe heavy, if laughably so) and the Mortal Kombat video game series (with such things as life bars, the general aesthetics of the characters and different areas where matches take place, and even a couple actors from the games appearing; also, from The Movie, Chris "Red Dragon" Cassamassa (Scorpion) and Hakim "The Machine" Alston (Liu Kang's first fight)).
The first season was hosted by Shannon Lee, the daughter of Bruce Lee, and was very much An Aesop Of The Week show, with awkward life lessons imparted in every episode. The second season ditched Lee, limited the aesops to And Knowing Is Half the Battle segments at the end, and introduced an Evil Counterpart organization Jukido that sought to usurp the Dragon Star in a Myth Arc (one eventually Left Hanging). This coincided with a distinct uptick in quality.
Overall, the whole thing is kind of silly, but in a So Bad It's Good way.
This page needs more trope entries. You can help this wiki by adding more entries or expanding current ones.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle
- Black Best Friend: Willie "Bam" Johnson seemed to be this for most of the cast as he was the person they were most likely to talk to and was the only person to understand Cyclone.
- Demoted to Extra: Tiana "Black Widow" Noguchi, despite the fact she was supposed to be the women's champion but she was never seen competing. Her brother Cyclone had it almost as bad but he was finally given a match in the last episode against The Machine. The two also barely used backstage.
- Eyepatch of Power: Yin Yang Man has one.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: There were 25 masters on the show however some were seen more then others.
- Magical Native American: Great Wolf.
- Myth Arc: The second season.
- Significant Anagram: Tracy Swedom=Destroy WMAC
- They happen to have an anagram finder, this leads to some humorous anagrams of the other characters.
- The Unintelligible: Yuji "Cyclone" Noguchi only spoke in Japanese and relied on Bam to translate for him, he did however say one English sentence when he was pushed to by Tracer "Get out of my face Tracy".