This is Dorrie. She is a witch. A little witch. Her hat is always on crooked and her stockings never match.
The Dorrie books are a series of children's books by Patricia Coombs, from 1962 to 1992. They are about the adventures, and misadventures, of a young witch and her cat, Gink, as they face evil witches, wizards, and magic gone awry.
Most adventures take place in the town of Witchville, often involving Dorrie's mother, The Big Witch, who sometimes has to come save the day, especially if it's a mess Dorrie made herself. Other times, Dorrie saves the day herself.
- All Witches Have Cats: Gink is Dorrie's cat.
- Art Evolution: Spanning three decades, there is a clear difference in the style over time, although the general form is the same. This is covered near the end of this article.
- Flying Broomstick: Flying on them, or using them to levitate things.
- Good Witch Versus Bad Witch: Several of the plots involve Dorrie or her mother against evil witches.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: Dorrie gets a gold cauldron as a reward for stopping the Blue Witch.
- Wicked Witch: Although most witches in the book are good, some of the villains have been this trope.
- Wizard Classic: Dorrie's family knows a few, and some have been antagonists.