These are recommendations made by Tropers for Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into homosexual or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Brand New Day - Henchman's Union by Multiple
- Recommended by Fuzzy Boots
- Synopsis: Four henchmen within the Henchman Union are given a simple job, to clear the lair of a villain who was captured by the police. They discover that the truth behind the villain's capture is much darker, involving the seamy underside of the Henchman Union and the lack of advancement. Eventually, the team teams up with Dr. Horrible, Moist, Captain Hammer, and a clone army of insane Pennies to battle the Evil League of Evil.
- Comments: Not purely a fanfic, actually a PBP game on the Atomic Think Tank forums for Mutants and Masterminds, but excellently done and captures the spirit of the universe. Set after the end of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and features many background characters in fleshed-out form such as the Pink Pummeler, Bait and Switch, Conflict Diamond, Dead Bowie, and Fury Laika. An OOC thread with more backstage mechanics can be found here.
Murder by Publicity by Seraphina2
- Recommended by Seiyaku
- Synopsis: Oneshot, set from Act II on. Finding murder too inelegant, Dr. Horrible finds a different way to destroy Captain Hammer.
- Comments: A hilarious and well written alternative to Doctor Horrible's response to the ELE's letter.
Billy Stinson by Seraphina2
- Recommended by Maki P
- Synopsis: What does Barney Stinson really do for a living? Why, of all places, did he decide to fulfill his community service hours at a homeless shelter? And why, oh why, does he seem to hate frozen yogurt so much?
- Comments: An excellent How I Met Your Mother crossover, the story is amazing and both worlds are blended in a way that you can believe it's the same verse. I goes without saying that Barney's back story is not quite the same as the show, though.
- Would like to second the rec. Cleverly executed, not to mention the storyline itself. After finishing the story, I did start to wonder whether the writer is actually Whedon in disguise, because it was simply wonderful and carries the spirit of the original series—both Dr. Horrible and How I Met Your Mother.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
They Said It Couldn't Be Done by vertigeaux
- Recommended by Somebody Else
- Pairings: Dr. Horrible (Billy)/Penny
- Synopsis: An AU oneshot in which Penny lives to pursue a relationship with Billy, it is a superb character study while seriously addressing the question "Wouldn't that whole super villainy thing complicate matters? A little bit?"
- Comments: Not quite a dark or light fic, but stunningly written either way. Equally impressive is its Gen sequel, Don't You Know There's A War On.
- Unfortunately, the links for They Said It Couldn't Be Done and Don't You Know There's A War On appear to have been moved.
No Happy Ending by Darkly Ironic
- Recommended by Chibiaries
- Pairings: Dr.Horrible (Billy)/Penny
- Synopsis: AU from 'Slipping'. The Hero is dead, and the Villain has taken over the city. Focus on Penny as she deals with the conflicts around her.
- Comments:Great depiction of Penny trying to deal with intrigue and secrets from both sides, heroes and villains. So far, only seven chapters are posted, but the writing has been consistently well-done, and it seems to be gearing up to be a pretty epic story. A very believable AU, with the right amounts of action, intrigue, and spot-on characterizations.
- Back to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog