A Thousand Splendid Suns/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Complete Monster: Rasheed, full stop.
- I know this is a subjective trope, but I can't imagine there being any argument over this.
- He's Just Hiding: Tariq wasn't so dead after all...
- Tear Jerker: The whole thing.
- The Woobie: Hoo boy, Mariam. Both women are Woobies after having to live with Rasheed, but Mariam's life is basically one big Tear Jerker. She had a mother who committed suicide and a father whom, she found out, was ashamed of her very existence. She was forced to marry an abusive brute, and she couldn't even have children, which she desperately wanted. After years of marriage, she is pushed away in favor of a younger, prettier woman. And when she finally takes control of her destiny by killing Rasheed in self-defense, she is executed for it. Tragic Hero, indeed.