One morning, 22 year old Hitomi leaves home and gets hit by a truck. On regaining consciousness she appears to cohabit the mind of another woman, Hitomi Landsknecht, who lives in a dystopian near future, where all men have gone extinct after a world-wide disaster. The world has become largely hostile to human life, in such that not even food can be taken from it, so the remains of humanity has to live off what it can scavenge from the old cities.
Hitomi Landsknecht is a captain of the Guardswomen, a paramilitary organization in what seems to be the last city on earth, led by Julia. They live in an uneasy alliance with the Kisaragi family, whose leader is convinced that no effort should be undertaken to save humanity from certain extinction.
Matters between the two parties become explosive once the Guardswomen start experimenting with ICE, a technology obtained from the Kisaragi family and which might be the solution for generating the much-needed offspring. Or maybe it's something else altogether. The pressure mounts when Hitomi becomes involved with Yuki, one of the adopted daughters of the head of the Kisaragi family.
ICE (also called Project ICE) is a 3-episode OVA released in 2007, that has a much older feel to it due it its animation style which has a deliberately dated appeal. The show has been panned for its seemingly thrown together plot and rather formulaic yuri slant. For viewers who like a surreal approach, ICE can still be quite enjoyable, but it will hardly be called a masterpiece anytime soon.
- After the End
- Akira Ishida: Julia. Yes, he voices a woman.
- Amazon Brigade
- An Aesop: Mankind shouldn't fiddle with nature too much.
- Anyone Can Die
- Badass Longcoat: Hitomi Landsknecht.
- BFG: Wielded by Hitomi. Cool design, too.
- Bifauxnen: Hitomi ... and quite a few others.
- Bury Your Gays: Being a lesbian in an anime of this kind means certain death.
- Cast Full of Gay
- Childless Dystopia: With the men gone and Homosexual Reproduction yet to be invented, the now all-female humanity is dying out, too.
- Conspicuous CG
- Desert Punk
- Eye Scream: Oh god, did Kisaragi just lick Yuki's eyes...?
- Fan Service: Comparatively minimal, though.
- Gainax Ending
- Green Aesop
- Half-Human Hybrid: Kisaragi is the genetic mix of a human being and - a jellyfish?
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: Yes, also the female ones.
- Humongous Mecha: Pretty classy ones, too.
- Lock and Load Montage
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Yuki to Hitomi.
- Meido: For some reason there are quite a few of those about.
- Mildly Military
- People Jars: The women inseminated with the ICE system wind up in a stasis crystal.
- Psycho Lesbian: Julia, who isn't all too nice to the girls she "plays" with. Also Yuki's adopted sister Satsuki arguably qualifies, judging by her violent outbursts of jealousy.
- The Promise: Julia promises Guardswoman Aoi that she can become pregnant with the help of ICE. Aoi goes very far to obtain this goal.
- Scenery Porn
- Sitch Sexuality
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Yuki & Hitomi.
- Yandere: Satsuki (Those text messages say it all)
- Yuri Genre