Basic Trope: Someone who enjoys handing out nicknames rather than using the real names of people he or she knows.
- Straight: The Nakama are given a nickname each. One or two might be exempt out of respect.
- Exaggerated: The Nicknamer refuses to call anyone by their given name.
- Or they call everyone they meet by a nickname.
- Justified: They're something of a jerk or they genuinely have trouble remembering names. There might be a good reason to use Code Names.
- Inverted: May invoke Spock Speak by being too formal.
- Subverted: They're forced to stop using nicknames, or else someone is offended by their nickname.
- Double Subverted: They keep using the offensive nickname anyway.
- Parodied: The nicknames are non-sensical or arbitrary.
- Deconstructed: This annoying quirk conceals a Sad Clown or else acts as a coping mechanism.
- Reconstructed: This coping mechanism works to the point that it helps the problem rather than covering it up.
- Zig Zagged: He hands out nicknames...but they convince him to stop. Then he starts doing it again...and it turns out its a pathological compulsion or down to a Freudian Excuse...wait, he's over it...for now.
- Averted: There is no character who uses nicknames all the time.
- Enforced: "We need someone who's Totally Radical."
- Lampshaded: "Do you ever use anyone's given name?"
- Invoked: "I thought giving everyone a nickname would help us bond."
- Defied: "Call me by my given name or you're out of here, lad."
Back to The Nicknamer