A Few New Tricks
This work existed in electronic form only and no longer can be found anywhere on the Net, including the Wayback Machine. Lacking the original work, we cannot guarantee that the description below is accurate or that the trope list, if any, is anything approaching complete. Be warned that links in the text below may go anywhere, including unrelated sites, malware pits or worse.
If you have an offline copy of this work, please help the All The Tropes community by putting it back up on the Net and updating/adding the link in the text below. Thank you.— The Mgmt.
a few new tricks is a crossover fanfic between Kim Possible and the Chinese folk tale known as Madame White Snake, in which Kim is taken to China for three years as a result of losing a bet to Shego, who had disappeared for roughly the same amount of time before suddenly resurfacing to challenge her. She's picked up a few new tricks in that time, and practically forces Kim to learn them as well.
The story offers a unique take on the Kigo pairing in that it makes it undeniably clear that Shego is still an evil, self-serving, stubborn, cantankerous asshole who somehow has the capacity for empathy underneath it all. Kim manages to worm her way into her heart regardless, and the two of them develop a brief romance. But there's another person in Shego's life who might object to that.
There is a sequel, called The Twelve, that is worth checking out as well.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: Xaio Qing and Bai Su Zhen in the epilogue.
- Bittersweet Ending: Oh, boy. Shego is dead, and Kim is utterly distraught. On the other hand, Xaio Qing and Bai Su Zhen are finally reunited, and confront the guardians of the afterlife to recover Shego's soul.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Shego delivers one to Kim in the first chapter.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shego, but it's a much darker use of this trope than normal.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Shego's reaction when Kim comes back to the village to save her.
- Gilligan Cut: A rare dramatic use of this trope occurs in the first chapter, when we cut to Kim's reaction as she's riding in a plane after losing to Shego.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Xaio Qing is particularly susceptible to this.
- Shown Their Work: The author speaks fluent Cantonese, and wasn't afraid to use it.
- Title Drop: The very last line of the story.
“Why of course,” Bai Su Zhen laughed lightly, back to back with Xaio Qing. “Let us show you a few new tricks we have learned.”
- Training from Hell: Kim is subjected to this when she arrives at the mountain.
- Translation Convention: Only kicks in once Kim learns Chinese. The author had promised to translate the Cantonese that was used earlier in the story, but decided not to because it helps the reader identify with Kim.