Baldur's Gate/Fanfic Recs
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Baldur's Gate fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
- Recommended by VVK.
- A site with an endless collection of BG and to some extent other video game fan fiction, both new stories being posted and entire novel-length stories and a multitude of shorter ones archived. Has slowed down over the years, and only the Baldur's Gate sections are remotely active anymore, but there's a slow trickle of new short stories and chapters to longer stories, and the amount of old stuff is mind-boggling. There's a general lack of anything downright awful and plenty of very good stuff. Some of the long-time contributors have apparently also been active in the creation of mods and involved with the original writing team of the game.
- Malleus Animorum, mentioned below, is also being posted here, or at least was. While I agree it's good, it can barely compete with many of the other stories there. Because they're just that good, too.
- A Cappella by Silrana. A Massive, and Complete, 325 chapter fic that goes through the entirety of BG2, Throne of Bhaal and well after it. Follows the Jaheira romance plot, but is in no way a shipping fic. Notable in that it manages to turn Anomen into an extremely likable character without really changing anything about the character (okay, maybe one thing). The first 190 parts can be found here and the rest can be found in the Serial Archive
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by Inkfrost
- Synopsis: A short story about Xzar and Montaron that provides a pleasant fix to certain events of Baldur's Gate 2.
- Comments: The two Zhents are characterised rather on the fluffy side, but nonetheless it's an amusing, nicely written tale.
- Recommended by Fading Echo
- Synopsis: An ongoing serial of the Baldur's Gate saga, with ASE covering the first game and the in-progress second installment covering the second game, that takes some liberties with the canon plot and characters in favor of a more realistic world and characters.
- Comments: This may be one of the best Baldur's Gate tales out there, despite-or perhaps because-of the author's open admission that he takes liberties with the canon material to produce a more compelling story. The first few installments of the first book do smack of immature writing, but the tale improves markedly once the author hits his stride, and the normally action-packed adventure of the games are slowed down in favor of intrigue and a great deal of philosophical discussion that manages to never hit an Author Filibuster. Given the nature of the game the story is based on, Shipping is inevitable, and the author has repeatedly dropped bridges on potential ship-mates. Also, the protagonist may be heading towards bisexuality, but so far it has been tastefully handled.
- Recommended by beetnemesis
- Synopsis: Two complete novels of the Baldur's Gate tale, covering the second game and its expansion pack. A LOT of character interaction, while hitting many of the sidequests. The leading man is a snarky thief who progressively becomes more mature as he deals with the events of the games and the growing influence of Bhaal.
- Comments: The dialogue and character interaction are really what make this fic. Each has his or her own tone, and are very different from each other. Highly, highly recommended- amazingly better than the "official" novels in every possible way.
Grand Theft Cookies by Kellen
- Recommended by Neo Silver Thorn
- Synopsis: A short piece set pre-Baldur's Gate I. Imoen talks the PC into helping her steal cookies from the Candlekeep kitchens. Hilarity Ensues.
- Comments: It's told from the view of the game's player character, and said character is never named. Regardless of that quirk, it's still a very amusing story.
On the Subject of Gratefulness by Tami
- Recommended by Mr Valentine
- Synopsis: Separated from the Bhaalspawn's party during BG2, Viconia and Jaheira encounter a witch who collects the ghosts of her victims, and who curses the drow with a ghost of her own: Khalid.
- Comments: A nice litte character piece, its biggest strength is the interaction between the two women.
Fury by Incanto
- Recommended by FurryFury
- Synopsis: A young man finds himself hunted, marked for death by powerful enemies of whom he knows nothing...but the real threat may lie closer to home. A new take on the story of the game.
- Comments: The best Baldur's Gate fanfic This Troper has read. It's an AU of the first game with quite a few liberties taken in regards to the characters and the story (which is, arguably, a good thing for a video game fanfic - rehashing the same plot every time gets boring very fast), is very well written and sometimes bittersweet in tone.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Tale of the Bhaalspawn by Captain Incredible
- Recommended by Jeffcole1
- Pairing: PC/Jaheira
- Synopsis: a long and well-written novelization of Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, with the main character being a half-elf sorcerer named Greywulf. From great characterization of everyone from Minsc to Irenicus, to awesome fight scenes, to the growing attraction between Greywulf and Jaheira over the course of the story, this is a fic well worth reading.
- Status: Complete at 104 chapters. A Throne of Bhaal-based sequel, Wars of the Bhaalspawn, is in progress, currently at 20 chapters.
Mere Glimmering and Decay by Blue-Inked Frost
- Recommended by Cannibalistic Skittles
- Pairing: PC/Xzar
- Synopsis: An interesting take at a PC who tries to figure out what really goes on inside the necromancers head on top of everything.
- Status: In-progress at three chapters.