Older Than They Think/Web Comics
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- When the webcomic The Noob parodied the "Time Warp" song from the famous stage play and 1975 comedy movie The Rocky Horror Picture Show in its episode #299 "The Dungeon Lifecycle", a fan on the comments board claimed that the webcomic was ripping off the MMORPG City of Heroes, because they had used the "jump to the left" joke first; naturally, this came from a CoH mission packed with RHPS references.
- Similarly, a fan asked on the comments box whether the "Eldritch Blob" monster was a reference to "Eldritch Deathlord" from Warcraft 3, not knowing that the term eldritch is dated by Merriam-Webster online to the year 1508. Horror writers like Edgar Allan Poe, Clark Ashton Smith and H.P. Lovecraft were very fond of the word, and it is from these that its modern use in fantasy comes.
- Many people will tell you that Order of the Stick invented the RPG Mechanics Verse trope, but as that page shows, at least two Anime examples, Beet the Vandel Buster and Mahoujin Guru Guru, beat OotS by about one and nine years, respectively.
- Order of the Stick is frequently accused of stealing material from Skyrim, even though the creator has declared he has never played the game.
- Believe it or not, there are some people who credit Homestuck for coining the phrase "grimdark". It is a meme from Warhammer 40,000.