The stage. The boards. The footlights. The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd.
The birthplace of the tropes of every performance medium to follow.
Older Than Feudalism, possibly Older Than Dirt, Theatre is the art of presenting a story to an audience as though it was happening right in front of them. A quantum leap beyond the performance of a single storyteller, it not only required an entire troupe to pull off, but could reach far more people at a single go, making it the first Mass Medium. Among other things, it invented the concept of Special Effects and gave birth to Reality Is Unrealistic. And over the centuries it has only gotten more complex, more sophisticated, and more engaging. A film may be able to overwhelm the viewer with visual spectacle, but a stage performance has an immediacy, a reality (however illusory), that gathers in its audience and shares itself with them.
For our purposes here at All The Tropes, Theatrical Productions include not just stage dramas, but also Ballet, Opera, Musicals, and just about anything else that can take place on a stage.
These are the tropes and works of Theatre.
Note: Do not use this category for individual works -- use Category:Theatrical Productions instead.
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- Awesome (theatre) (16 P, 1 F)
- Ballet (9 P, 1 F)
- Choreographers (6 P)
- Hocus Tropus (14 P)
- Musical Number Index (1 C, 60 P)
- The Musical (4 C, 177 P)
- Playwrights (44 P)
- Theater Tropes (1 C, 47 P)
- Theatrical Productions (18 C, 447 P, 2 F)
Pages in category "Theatre"
The following 180 pages are in this category, out of 180 total.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension/Theatre
- Best Known for the Fanservice/Theatre
- Big Eater/Theatre
- Big Fancy House/Theatre
- Big No/Theatre
- Bittersweet Ending/Theatre
- Blatant Lies/Theatre
- Book Ends/Theatre
- Breaking the Fourth Wall/Theatre
- Brick Joke/Theatre
- Brother-Sister Incest/Theatre
- Butt Monkey/Theatre
- Scenery Porn/Theatre
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny/Theatre
- Serial Escalation/Theatre
- Sex Is Violence/Theatre
- Ship Tease/Theatre
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog/Theatre
- Shown Their Work/Theatre
- Shut UP, Hannibal/Theatre
- Significant Anagram/Theatre
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism/Theatre
- So Bad It's Good/Theatre
- So Bad It's Horrible/Theatre
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped/Theatre
- Soundtrack Dissonance/Theatre
- Spell My Name with an "S"/Theatre
- Stage Magician
- Strawman Has a Point/Theatre
- Suspiciously Similar Song/Theatre
- Take That/Theatre
- Tempting Fate/Theatre
- Theatre/Awesome Music
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill/Theatre
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks/Theatre
- Throw It In/Theatre
- Time Lord/Theatre
- Title Drop/Theatre
- Too Dumb to Live/Theatre
- Took a Level in Badass/Theatre
- Trope Namers/Theatre
- Troubled Production/Real Life/Theatre
- Troubled Production/Theatre