This Creator page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
Young Savage, why you trappin' so hard?
Why these niggas cappin' so hard?
Why you got a 12 car garage?
Why you pullin' all these rappers' cards?
'Cause these niggas pussy and I'm hard
I turn that fuckin' soft into some hard
I grew up in the streets without no heart
I'm prayin' to my Glock and my carbon
—21 Savage, "No Heart"
Shayaa Bin Abraham-Joseph (born October 22, 1992), known professionally as 21 Savage, is a British-American rapper known for his harsh lyrics and delivery. He gained popularity with his 2016 EP Savage Mode with producer Metro Boomin and was part of the "Freshman Class" of 2016 by XXL.
Before making music, 21 Savage used to in a gang of Bloods and committed many crimes. In 2013, on his 21st birthday, he was shot six times and his best friend was killed during an attempted robbery. His rapper name alludes in part to that event.
- Issa Album (2017)
- Without Warning (2017, with Offset and Metro Boomin)
- I Am > I Was (2018)
- The Slaughter Tape (2015)
- Slaughter King (2015)
- Free Guwop (2015, with Sonny Digital)
- Savage Mode (2016, with Metro Boomin)
- Continuity Nod:
- In "rockstar" by Post Malone, 21 Savage makes a reference to a line from "No Heart":
They like, "Savage, why you got a twelve car garage
And you only got six cars?"
"I got so many M's in my bank account, I can't even count 'em"
- Department of Redundancy Department: In "Run Up the Racks", with Metro Boomin:
"Gang gang gang, nigga, gang gang
Pause the beat, free my niggas in the chain gang
Gang, gang, gang, gang, gang, gang, gang"
- Double Meaning: In "No Heart", the word "read" in "I sit back and read like Cat in the Hat" also means analyzing his enemies.
- Memetic Mutation: In 2016, during an interview with VladTV, his response to a question about his face tattoo ("Issa knife") went viral on the Internet. 21 Savage was confused at first, but went along with the meme, even naming his first album after it.
- Reality Subtext:
- "No Advance", from the self-released EP Savage Mode, has the line "Independent, I don't need no advance".
- In his verse on "Cocky", 21 Savage raps:
"Way out in the hills, I just sign the deal
I ain't take no advance, so you know that split was real"
- On January 18th, 2017, 21 Savage signed a deal with Epic Records.
- In "No Heart":
"I sit back and read like Cat in the Hat
21 Savage, the cat with the MAC
21 Savage not Boyz N the Hood
But I pull up on you, shoot your ass in the back
Stuart Little, heard these niggas some rats
Pockets full of cheese, bitch I got racks"
"You was with your friends playin' Nintendo
I was playin' 'round with that fire"
"Ninth grade I was knocking niggas out
Nigga like Holyfield"
I'ma "at" your favorite rapper, shoot him like I'm John Dill'
- In "Bank Account", he makes a reference to a dance from "Right Thurr" by Chingy:
Draco make you do the chicken head like Chingy (Chingy)
- Also in "Bank Account":
- Also in "Bank Account", he makes a reference to the film Shottas:
Bitch, I'm Mad Max, you know I got Ziggy with me
- Write What You Know: In a IRL web episode where he was shown how to make a knife, 21 Savage, when asked about his messages in his lyrics, said:
"I'm just speaking on my life. What I see, What I go through. My past issues, my current issues.
So now it's like, "Dang he got a Bentley truck." You gon' hear me say I got a Bentley truck. "He got a Ferrari." You gon' hear me say that I bought a Ferrari. "His partner just died," you gon' hear it.
It's just me. It's what I'm going through. What I've been through."