A Christmas Story/YMMV
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Adaptation Displacement: Shepherd left behind a vast body of other work about his childhood, but only diehard fans are even aware of it, or of his long career as a radio personality.
- Cult Classic
- It Gets Better: First ten minutes are forgettable and pretty slow, with long gaps in the narration and very long shots of toys and kids pressing their noses against windows.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Memetic Mutation: "You'll shoot your eye out!", "FRAH-GEE-LEY", etc.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The scary department store Santa going into slow motion, with the music in the background slowing down to match.
- Aided and abetted by the 1st Person POV fisheye camera shots as Ralphie goes up to see him. We see a distorted and fast view of a very bitter Santa (with lurid red nose) and two mean elves! HO... HO... HO.....
- Moment of Awesome: Ralphie beating the crap out of his tormentor Scut Farkus.
- Special Effect Failure: When the Old Man gets home exclaiming that he had won the contest, he slams one of the Bumpass hound's tails in the door. The "tail" is pretty obviously a piece of fabric folded over once, and sliding around the door seam as if it could be pulled through just fine.
- Values Dissonance: Christmas dinner at the Chinese restaurant... let's just say this scene hasn't exactly aged well.