A wise man once said, "Any story, no matter how good, will sound really, really dumb when you shorten it to a few sentences."
—Alcatraz Versus The Knights Of Crystallia
So you love a series. You own all the volumes, have various merchandise, can quote characters off the top of your head, and know every plot twist by heart.
However, one day someone asks the dreaded question "What's this about?" And suddenly it hits you—trying to sum it up in only a few sentences makes it sound really really ridiculous, and though the show itself may take itself entirely seriously, suddenly all the random parts, nonsensical aspects and just plain weirdness are laid bare before you.
But really, it's Better Than It Sounds once you actually see it in action.
This is the place to record those descriptions—the random, the understated, and the WTF. This isn't "Sum up your favorite movie in one sentence!" (We've already got each movie's respective Laconic page for that), rather it is for the summaries that would make a person say "This would never sell!". This is not They Fight Crime, since those shows have an inherently ridiculous concept as part of the catch—these are only made ridiculous by us mentioning things out of context.
To keep it interesting, put the name of the series in spoiler tags, disable autospoiler when visiting, and keep this from becoming Complaining About Shows You Don't Like; it's actually Making Fun Of Things You Do Like. And most of all, have fun.
Important Note: This is a game, not a proper trope. Please don't use it as an entry on a work page.
Contrast Worse Than It Sounds.
This Game Contains Spoilers By Necessity. Read At Your Own Risk.
- Doodles With Stupidly Huge Eyes And Spiky Hair Made In Japan, some of which are Edgy, and the old ones were Choppily Animated:
- Literature With An Intentionally Reduced Word Count and Hand-Drawn Pictures: A - Z
- Online "Books", Pictures, and Other Stuff Made by You: A - Z
- Oodles Of Nearly Identical Pictures That Are Flashed Across Your Field Of Vision So Fast That You Cannot Tell Them Apart At All:
- An Outdated Sort Of Media That Neglects All But One Of The Humans' Senses, But Needs No Power Source:
- Oodles Of Nearly Identical Pictures That Are Flashed Across Your Field Of Vision So Fast That You Cannot Tell Them Apart At All - But Usually Lower Budget: A - Z
- Sounds Arranged In Loose Periodical Order For Entertainment Purposes: A - Z
- Outdated Low-Budget Game Fun For Disillusioned Stay-At-Homes Who Don't Know Any Better: A - Z
- Paying Money To Observe Manchildren Acting Out Events As They May Or May Not Happen In Real Life: A - Z
- Modern High-Budget Game Fun For Disillusioned Stay-At-Homes Who Don't Know Any Better:
- Literature For People With No Intention Of Reading OR Even Manually Turning The Page: A - Z
- Being Amused By People With No Life Or Legitimate Income Who Seek An Impersonal Relationship With Their Worldwide Audience: A - Z
- All That Is Made By Certain Westerners Who Earn Their Living By Drawing Talking Sponges, Clothed Mice, and Technicolor Equines: A - Z
- Miscellaneous Media That Are Not Even Worth Wasting Your Space And Time Describing On This Page: A - Z