Call the Midwife
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A massively popular BBC One television series based on a series of books by Jennifer Worth. It follows a group of 1950s midwives, and the nuns with whom they live. The series debuted in January, 2012.
Tropes used in Call the Midwife include:
- Battleaxe Nurse: Sister Evangelina, but the goodhearted variety.
- British Brevity: There are only six episodes.
- Costume Porn: There are some nice dresses, but most the characters are too poor, or are nuns, to afford really lovely clothes.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Though not actually a schoolgirl, Chummy fits the character archetype in every other way.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sister Evangelina is, underneath it all, as kind as the rest of the nurses.
- Medical Drama: Albeit one not set in a hospital.
- Nuns Are Funny: Sometimes, especially Sister Monica Joan
- Nuns Are Spooky: Jenny is bit freaked out when she first arrives, but this is averted mostly.
- Panicky Expectant Father: Inevitable.
- Teen Pregnancy: An intensely tragic one, with Mary.
- Who's Your Daddy?: With a surprisingly happy ending.