Feminist Frequency is a web series created by Anita Sarkeesian to analyze pop culture from a feminist/fangirl perspective. The point of the series is to point out female character representations, mostly negative criticism towards the Unfortunate Implications that ensue from various shows and movies. They have created a six-part mini-series on "Tropes V.S. Women", which just so happens to use this very site as inspiration.
Tropes/Shows discussed in the series:
- The Bechdel Test
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: The first topic of the "Tropes V.S. Women" series.
- The Nostalgia Chick: Cited as a reference source.
- Veronica Mars: Praised it for interpreting women (the main character specially) for being tech savvy and the use of non-violent conflict resolution. Panned the third season.
Tropes invoked during the series:
- Accentuate the Negative: Largely focuses on what is offensive and sexist in the media, especially as it regards how women are portrayed.
- One of Us: Loves Sci-Fi and Fantasy shows, and does a trope based segment.
- Sarcasm Mode: In the latter part of the Tropes Vs. Women videos.
- Women Are Delicate: Lampshaded as a cliche oft used in media's portrayal of women, and the sexism inherent in such a belief is discussed, including the historical origins and the societal attitudes that have led to such portrayals.