Welcome to Mondo Medicals! You have applied for research! You will help us help you! Help to find the cure for cancer! First we need to verify you! A test will perform this! We hold no response for your safety!
Mondo Medicals is a first-person perspective puzzle game by Cactus that puts the player through 8 levels (called 'dissorientations'), where his task is to find the exit. The levels, built of blank, gray walls, require the players not to think "out of the box" as much as to devastate the box completely. To reach the exit on each level, you'll have to ignore obvious clues, distrust your seeing, and abandon typical computer-game thinking.
Oh, and all the people in the game have TVs instead of heads.
It's got a sequel, Mondo Agency, which makes even less or even more sense, depending who you ask.
It's freeware, and can be downloaded here.
- Alien Geometry: The stages are not called "Disorientations" for nothing. For example, the very first stage causes you to go in an infinite loop unless you go the opposite of where the arrows tell you.
- Bizarre Puzzle Game
- Conspicuously Light Patch: You can walk through the light spots on walls.
- Fan Nickname: "Shouty Guy," for the priest-like figure in the recorded videos.
- Freudian Excuse: Shouty Guy's father died of cancer, which led him to obsess over it to the point of madness.
- Gainax Ending
- Good Bad Translation / Blind Idiot Translation / Intentional Engrish for Funny: Used intentionally to both comedic and disturbing effect.
- Mind Screw: The whole game.
- No Indoor Voice: The Shouty Guy.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog
- Speaking Simlish
- Apparently it may be garbled reversed speaking...
- Stylistic Suck: This game would be a whole lot less creepy in high-resolution, high-detail graphics. Meanwhile, the bad translation was intentional; Cactus is actually quite fluent in English, as his blog reveals.
- Surreal Horror
- TV Head Robot
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Once more, Shouty Guy. Shooting people to prevent cancer from spreading? Sure, why not.
- What Could Have Been: The Shouty Guy was to appear in Super Meat Boy as an unlockable character. He was cut due to space concerns.
- Weird Swedish Thing
- You Killed My Father: Shouty Guy's motivation