Themes in his work include the effect of culture on individual morality, the effect of technology on culture, and ... well, let's just say there's a reason one of his Fan Nicknames is "S&M Stirling".
Was once a member of the AlternateHistory.com forum.
- The Draka series, describing an Alternate History in which a melting-pot society of the losers from several wars forms itself into an Evil Empire and conquers the entire world.
- Island in The Sea of Time trilogy, in which a mysterious phenomenon transports the island of Nantucket from modern times into the Bronze Age.
- Emberverse series, in which a mysterious phenomenon renders inoperable all technology on Earth, leaving humanity to survive (or not) without it.
- The Lords of Creation series, in which the space probes of the 1960s discovered that the Planetary Romances were right all along: Mars and Venus are habitable, and inhabited by Humanoid Aliens. And dinosaurs.
- The Peshawar Lancers, stand-alone novel in which a series of comet strikes in the 19th century destroyed much of Europe and North America, and what's left of the British Empire is ruled from India.
- The General series, co-written with David Drake, a future history inspired the actual history of 5th-century Byzantium.
- Two novels in The Ship Who... series
- explicitly stated to be the same mysterious phenomenon as in Island in the Sea of Time, from the outside