Cave Story/Fanfic Recs
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here:
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Cave Story Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be Zapped (wiki). Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
- Recommended by T-Jack
- Synopsis: The twitter accounts of Quote and Curly Brace, respectively, providing updates as they experience those last crazy days on Mimiga Island—and in Quote's case, intermittent updates afterwards.
- Comments: This sticks close to the game canon (specifically, the good ending), with fanon to fill in some gaps. The characterization of Quote is rather humorous, as he clearly considers himself the Only Sane Man on Mimiga Island, and reacts to the bizarre NPCs, enemies, and ecosystem with a mix of incredulity and snark. I also like how he begins the story motivated primarily by selfishness and boredom, but develops more heroic motivations over the course of events.
The Stranger I Knew by Black Waltz 0
- Recommended by Malpercio
- Synopsis: The Three Laws of Robotics governs the way that a robot lives and serves humans. With Quote's memories fragmented, he is the only one able to disobey them. Curly Brace has a new mission now, to save him from the stranger inside himself.
- Comments: An odd idea for a story, but brilliantly and very emotionally executed; if you don't at least tear up at the ending, you are not human. Quote and Curly are characterized well, and there are some nice touches, such as giving Quote a last name.
- Recommended by dompeace23
- Synopsis: Cave Story/Earthbound crossover in which Ness and Co. are warped to the Cave Story universe during the final battle with Giygas due to a mistake on Pokey's part. Now they must work together to save both universes.
- Comments: Interesting concept. Above average writing and neatly utilizes the original game dialog.
Cave Story: A Novelization by JackmanB
- Recommended by phazonfarmer
- Synopsis: Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Cave Story in the form of a novel.
- Comments: A very interesting read. While it does alter the course of the story a bit, it only does it in situations where story is more important than the game's nature.
Androids Don't Get Pregnant by Darien-Shields
- Recommended by phazonfarmer
- Synopsis: After a few months of relaxation, Curly, Quote and Balrog decide to visit the island again. But when they get there, Misery has a few surprises for them...
- Comments: Absolutely hilarious. The characterizations are all very believable. I also liked how Jenka punished Misery's actions regarding the Demon Crown.
Jenka's Nightmare started by Mark "shmitz" Major, completed by LunarSoul
- Recommended by Edge Of Oblivion
- Synopsis: A fangame sequel to Cave Story, created with the game's level editor. Quote, Curly, and Balrog are suddenly transported back to The Island by Jenka, with no explanation beyond "Help me". Quote must once again navigate the Island, but a lot has changed....
- Comments: A very well-made sequel, characterization keeps well to the original story and follows immediately from the ending of Sacred Grounds. Difficulty curve is high, as the creators assume the player has beaten Cave Story including Hell, and made the challenge appropriately.
- A trope page is in the works.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.