- Author Existence Failure: Not Lynch, but original cinematographer Herb Cardwell died midway into the production under mysterious circumstances.
- Development Hell: Due to troubles with funding and cast availability, this movie took five years to film. There's a scene where Henry walks through a door; his entering and exiting the door were shot a year apart.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Jack Nance had to keep his famous haircut throughout production, essentially through the early half of the seventies.
- No Budget: The film was made on a budget of $20,000.
- Schedule Slip: A truly epic example, the film took Lynch 5 years to complete!
- Shrug of God: Lynch refuses to offer any clues for authorial intent, and pointedly refuses to discuss how the baby was made.
- Write What You Know: Apparently, David Lynch's wife was pregnant with their first child when he was coming up with this. Considering that this runs fully on Nothing Is Scarier, and the amount and type of symbolism in this film...