Feed the Mole/Playing With
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Basic Trope: One character deliberately feeds false information to The Mole, either to expose it or to trick the enemy.
- Straight: Guile Hero knows who The Mole is, but gives The Mole false information. The Big Bad / The Rival receives the information and acts on it, but falls into a trap or has their position compromised.
- Exaggerated: Guile Hero leaves the high command door open, The Mole 'discovers' a treasure trove of information, and all of it is fed back to the enemy. Acting on it results in their massacre.
- Subverted: The Mole realises on his or her way to the Big Bad that the information is bogus, and drops it.
- Double Subverted: The Guile Hero counted on The Mole figuring this out and arranges matters so that The Mole, coming back for the true information, takes more bogus information without realising it.
- Parodied: Guile Hero is so obviously giving false information that The Mole figures it out immediately, but lets himself or herself be 'fooled' anyway because he wants to get one over the Big Bad For the Lulz.
- Zig Zagged: The success of the Feed the Mole tactic varies so wildly that at times the Guile Hero and The Mole seem inconsistent in their behaviour.
- Averted: No one uses the tactic at all.
- Enforced: Executive Meddling and/or the authors: "We have The Mole, but the character's not doing anything. Why don't we show how brilliant Character X is by having him/her/it/them/pronoun of choice manipulate The Mole?"
- Invoked: A Reverse Mole in the favour of the Big Bad persuades the Big Bad to send in The Mole, at least in part so that the Guile Hero can make use of this trope.
- Exploited: A third party rides on the back of the Feed the Mole tactic and ends up wiping out the Big Bad once he or she is compromised.
- Defied: A Genre Savvy Mole realises that the Guile Hero is tricking him or her, and looks elsewhere for information, or tries a counter-ploy.
- Discussed: Genre Savvy Characters fear a Mole in their midst and one recommends this tactic.
- Conversed: A fanboy goes on about a 'trick he saw in a show' which turns out to be Feed the Mole.
Back to Feed the Mole.