A flag design on swimwear, or similar garment, apparently to make the outfit even sexier, or at least very distinctive.
For some reason, the U.S. flag seems to be the most common, but it's not the only one.
It often shows up in advertising, particularly if being worn by a Hood Ornament Hottie.
Some people consider this disrespectful to these flags (and Brazil actually bans its flag on swimsuits), while other people don't seem to mind, as shown by the popularity of this kind of suit.
Anime & Manga
- In the Midori no Hibi manga, foreign exchange student Lucy wears American flag underwear.
- A member of the American team in Yakitate!! Japan was wearing an American flag-themed bikini while on the deserted island.
- Elizabeth Dawn from Gamble Fish wears one as her normal outfit.
- Wonder Woman's standard costume.
- Katy Keene had a cover where Katy, Gloria, and Lucki had a set that made a flag when standing together.
- Stargirl has a variant—while she does bare her midriff, her costume is closer to a tank top and bicycle shorts rather than a bikini.
Films -- Live-Action
- The two heroines of the film Dick make flag bikinis for themselves at the end.
- The Pretender has a scene, shown above, that combines this with Going Fur a Swim.
- Lois Lane from Smallville wears one in a strip club.
Chloe: All I can say is... God bless America!
- Seen in the Hustle episode "And This Little Piggy Had Money" as part of a fantasy the mark has about what his life will be like when he accepts the high-paying job in California that Mickey's crew is offering him.
- Candi Suxx from Grand Theft Auto Vice City wears nothing more than a American flag-themed bikini.
- Tina Armstrong's starting swimsuit in Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball is one of these.
- All the Anthropomorphic Personifications of countries in Scandinavia and The World wear their flag on their clothes, so any swimsuit instance promises some flag swimwears. Sister America's usual top also gives off the effect of a flag-bikini top.
- See the page image from Foreign Fanservice.
- In American Dad, Obama wore a flag speedo.