Jay Baruchel is a Canadian comedic actor. He is so Canadian, he even has a tattoo of a maple leaf. You might recognize his face as Kurt in She's Out of My League, Jay in Knocked Up, Steven in Undeclared, Kevin in Tropic Thunder, Leon in The Trotsky, or Dave in The Sorcerers Apprentice, and his voice as Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon and its sequels.
In case you are interested: He is agnostic, supports the Montreal Canadiens, and is 6 feet tall. He's also engaged to Alison Pill (sorry, superfans). His last name is pronounced with a soft sh- sound like shell.
Jay Baruchel provides examples of the following tropes:
- Actor Allusion: His characters like to fly away at the ends of movies - The Sorcerers Apprentice, She's Out of My League, and How to Train Your Dragon.
- Badass Bookworm
- The Danza: Like the rest of Ben Stone's (Seth Rogen) friends in Knocked Up, his character shares the same first name as the actor playing him.
- Enforced Method Acting: Is terrified of roller coasters and was not going to initially partake in riding one for the opening sequence of Knocked Up. When another cast member was running late, Judd Apatow convinced Baruchel to ride it just once to get a take in (which made it into the film; his character's panicked "I WANNA GET OFF! I WANNA GET OFF!"? Not in character at all, that's him legitimately wigging out.)
- Hollywood Nerd
- Improv: Judd Apatow selected Baruchel and the rest of the cast in Undeclared largely on their improvisation skills.
- One of Us: Baruchel has called himself a huge nerd and admitted to being awkward, saying in an interview that "I hate people staring at me, and I don't do well in crowds." When talking about how he decided to take the role in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, he said, "The deal closer for me was when I discovered the character shoots plasma bolts out of his hands. I was like, I have to be in this movie. Plasma bolts!"
- Puppy Dog Eyes
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: The third might be subjective, but in many of his films he is viewed as attractive by other characters. But Baruchel is not entirely sure or even aware of it himself.
- Wild Hair