Nice Hat/Myth, Legend and Folklore
< Nice HatJump to navigation Jump to search
- Odin had a wide-brimmed hat along with his cloak whenever he went out for a stroll or to impregnate Jotun women and so on.
- Mercury/Hermes from Graeco-Roman myth also has a hat like this. It may be partly this dress choice (along with the common interest in poetry) that led the Romans and Germanic peoples to identify Woden/Odin/Wotan with Mercury, on the face of it a rather odd match.
- Since Mat Cauthon from the Wheel of Time is an Odin Expy, he gains a really nice wide-brimmed hat in The Shadow Rising that he wears constantly even in battle.
- Similarly, Gandalf from Tolkien's works had his appearance directly based off of Odin, complete with the iconic traveler's hat. This is where the popular image of a wizard wearing robes and having a wide-brimmed pointy hat come from.
- Also in the wide-brimmed-hat club is Ankou, the Breton version of The Grim Reaper. Doesn't get much more awesome than that.
- Santa Claus' hat is basically synonymous with Christmas.
- The voodoo god Papa Legba (a.k.a. Baron Samedi) is traditionally shown wearing a Nice Top Hat (as shown here).
- Back to Nice Hat