Simon R. Green
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This Creator page is a stub. You can help All The Tropes by expanding it.
Works written by Simon R. Green include:
- Hawk and Fisher
- Secret Histories
- The Twilight of the Empire (prelude to the Deathstalker series)
- the Forest Kingdom series which is set in the same continuity as Hawk and Fisher.
- Ghost Finders
- Drinking Midnight Wine
- Shadows Fall
Simon R. Green provides examples of the following tropes:
- Angels, Devils, and Squid
- Batman Cold Open: All three of the modern fantasy works have employed this.
- Battle Couple:
- Canon Welding: He's managed to tie in almost all of his own personal property without even resorting to parallel dimensions (though those do exist in his works).
- Catch Phrase: In all three of his urban fantasy series, he uses variations on "Needs must, when the devil drives" and "Suddenly and messily." And when I say variations on the first one, he's gotten pretty damn creative. Also, he loves to have his characters to use their over-the-top reputations to intimidate their foes.
- Designated Protagonist Syndrome: Not because they're uninteresting, just the supporting cast is more so. He frequently populates his worlds with colorful and over the top characters, taking a moment to give their backstories in an impressive way and then display them doing something awesome. His main characters tend to be powerful, but a little more grounded. As a side effect, often they're overshadowed by the lovable weirdos around them.
- Deus Ex Machina: Frequent and unashamed.
- Rule of Cool: done in all of his works
- The World Is Always Doomed