A Second Face
A Second Face is a game (planned to be a trilogy) made with Adventure Game Studio about a planet for which one side always faces the sun while the other side is always in darkness. Each side of the planet has a distinct humanoid species, although they appear to be related. The official website is here. Be forewarned that the game is decidedly NSFW as it portrays societies with few or no inhibitions on nudity and sex.
The first, and thus far only released game, is subtitled The Eye of Geltz is watching you, focused on the dark side of the planet and its numerous linked problems. The species, who call themselves the Ugeltz, live in a single city that is powered by a coal-like substance named Margin. Their currency is a form of pressed Margin, creatively-named Margin Units. Barokk, the younger son of King Ugk, is tasked with finding some answer to this society's problems.
A second game, subtitled May Sunlight be with You, is currently[when?] under development and is focused on Fraka, who lives on the light side of the planet and is apparently Barokk's destined love.
- Audience Surrogate: Barokk has lived his whole life in the safety of the palace until now, and thus knows little more than the player does about the outside world.
- Because Destiny Says So: Why Barokk and Fraka have visions of each other and do what they must do.
- Crap Saccharine World: Implied for the light-side society.
- Call a Rabbit a Smeerp: Why call margin "margin" when it's basically oil?
- Crapsack World: The Ugeltz live in perpetual darkness, Margin is running out, many people do not care that it is running out, Undertown is getting progressively worse, a beggar has to sell his own stomach to get Margin Units, the chief scientist is a xenophobic warmonger, the king is going insane, the eldest prince is a big bully who doesn't care what happens to the whole society, Margin causes toxic pollution, and on and on.
- Engrish: The voice actors are obviously Scandinavian. For example, the world "realm" is pronounced as "reee-ahlm"
- Eternal Sexual Freedom: Suggested for both species on the planet.
- Fantastic Drug: Amongst its many other uses, Margin can apparently be consumed for drug-like effects. There is also the vision potion, which is illegal and has different effects on different people.
- Morally-Ambiguous Doctorate: A street doctor who tells a beggar that he doesn't need his stomach so that he can sell it to a wealthy individual for a high price.
- No Blood for Phlebotinum: A beggar sells his own stomach to get some Margin Units, and discovers that he might need that to survive.
- The Power of Love: According to the game's website as well as comments on the forum, this is the key to resolving the problems of both societies on the planet.
- Religion of Evil: The most faithful adherent of Geltz, the scientist Rafok, wants to wage war against any hypothetical society that is not Ugeltz. The main activity of the religion of Geltz, the Fertility Ritual, is basically a fantasy form of sex partying while using lots of drugs.
- Secret Police: The Council of Science claim that they keep track of every single person in Hightown to suppress rebellion. Torg also uses Groth and her cronies to this effect.
- Slobs Versus Snobs: There are vast differences between Hightown and Undertown, to say the least.
- Tongue Trauma: All guards have had their tongues removed so that they cannot betray internal secrets.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Groth gets whipped repeatedly, BDSM-style, as a cover for her true objective. And next to her is a mace that can break walls. One can only wonder what that is used for.
- Weird Currency: Margin Units are pressed from Margin, which is apparently some sort of fossil fuel.