The Barbie Diaries is a movie.
In this one, Barbie and her friends are a Garage Band; the main action takes place at her school.
And, as in any American high school, there is the Alpha Bitch, who is in this case named Raquelle. As the movie opens, Barbie receives the position of Raquelle's official toady for the school TV news show. And, as usual, Barbie has a crush on Raquelle's boyfriend, Todd, who she thinks is her Secret Admirer. Luck turns to Barbie's side for once, and Todd not only breaks up with Raquelle, but also hooks up with Barbie in the same day. This leads to a rise in popularity for Barbie and she effectively dumps her own friends in favour of developing a Girl Posse with members stolen from Raquelle.
- Alpha Bitch: Raquelle, and Barbie in the middle.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The diary.
- Continuity Snarl: It's the only Barbie movie not made by Rainmaker Studios, so good luck fitting it in with the current Barbie canon.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Raquelle has strawberry blonde/red hair and green eyes. Later she'd be given black and either brown or blue eyes.
- High School Dance: The climax and ending of the movie.
- In with the In Crowd: In an odd variation, Barbie forms her own new in-crowd by abandoning her friends and collecting the followers of the former Alpha Bitch.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: A variant: In this case, it's not the shop but the girl behind the counter, although Raquelle does know her name.
- Les Yay: Tia and Courtney seem to be very close...
- Love Letter Lunacy: Barbie thinks her secret admirer is Todd, but it turns out to be Kevin
- Merchandise-Driven: Obviously, but the bracelet and diary stand out.
- Power Trio: Barbie, Tia, Courtney.
- Token Minority: African-American Tia and Japanese-American Courtney. Raquelle's lackey Dawn also appears to be Asian.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Kevin.
- Wish Fulfillment: The diary does this for Barbie.